ALLO – Kali i2s Reclocker
From: € 54.90
Units Sold: 197
Literally a little miracle: the Kali Reclocker is a FPGA I2S reclocker that will deliver a jitter-free listening experience, with your existing i2s DAC! It’s compatible with Raspberry PI B+\2\3 and with Sparky board. Kali will reclock your Audio signal with its high quality crystal, and provide clean Power to both PI and the I2S DAC. Results will blow you away!
In the digital Audio Domain, the accuracy of Clock is very important and it will greatly affect reproduction quality. To put in simple terms, a better Crystal Clock means better sound. Things like sound details, instrumental separation, 3d image are hugely impacted by jitter, and Clock directly impacts jitter.
So, welcome Kali (the goddes of Time), probably the most clever piece of equipment you can get for your Volumio powered PI. Why? Most SBCs use a very cheap crystal (that results in higher jitter) in order to save costs, PI is not an exception (since it doesn’t even have it exposed..). The Kali i2s reclocker solves this issue by reclocking the data coming from the PI (or any other compatible board) and feed jitter-free music into your I2S DAC. Not only that, power Kali with a 5V power supply, and it will directly feed clean Power both to the PI and your DAC.
WE REALLY THINK THIS IS A GAMECHANGER
And we’re not alone. Read some of the enthusiastic feedbacks on the product comments or on the forum thread.
Why we like it:
– It’s truly a gamechanger! The first time I listened to it, I was simply stunned (and this doesn’t happen that often…)
– Sound improvement is really noticeable: 3d image, details, instrumental separation are vastly better
– It works with any slave i2s DAC that uses generic drivers (tested with Mamboberry DACs using Hifiberry DAC setting, G2LABS AK DAC , and Audiophonics Sabre, it does not work with IQ Audio DAC+ nor Hifiberry DAC Plus\PRO), refer to Compatibility section to know if your DAC has been tested with Kali.
– With the Piano HiFi DAC, it makes a great bang\buck combo!
– With a single 5V Power supply, you will power the PI (or any compatible SBC) , the Kali and your I2S DAC. If you don’t have any, you can use Allo Power Supply
– Lots of users reported they got even better results with iFi Power Supply
What can be improved:
– Its dimensions are not hat compliant (it’s longer than a standard hat). So if you plan to stick it in a particular case, you’re out of luck.
– It works only with DAC in slave mode
IMPORTANT: Kali is currently sold in two variants: a 22/24MHz version capable of up to 192kHz playack and a 44/48MHz version capable of up to 384kHz playback. On sale is the 44/48MHz version (the best one).
How it works
First, it has a very low jitter NDK crystal feed by LDOs in series for ultra quiet power supply. Second, the FPGA will read the incoming stream, will buffer the DATA 0.7s while discarding the incoming clocks. Using the NDKs it will reclock the buffered data OUTSIDE the fpga (since fpgas introduce about 200ps of jitter) and provide a MCLK/BCLK that is direct from crystal, providing a jitter-free (almost) to your DAC. It provides accurate Masterclock to DAC and FPGA.
The Kali requires a +5 Volt power source to operate. Power should be applied to the 2.5mm DC JACK.
Meanwhile, it will clock the file using the correct crystal (there are 2), according to sample rate.
Works great with most I2S DAC and the PIANO
Kali will not work if your DAC is a master. Dac has to be slave. If your DAC uses the Hifiberry DAC, PI-DAC or RaspyPlayv3 parameter it will work right away!
- The basic design includes FPGA based FIFO board
- I2S input: 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz, 176.4 KHz, 192 KHz – 16bit, 24bit or 32bit
- I2S output: 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, 88.2 KHz, 96 KHz, 176.4 KHz, 192 KHz – 16bit, 24bit or 32bit
- FIFO Memory: 4MB SRAM
- Can be use with external Crystal Oscillators for MCLK or upgraded to a higher quality, multi-frequency clock that comes with automatic Fs switching and better performance
- LED indicators (Power, Full, Lock, Empty, Sample Rate, Mclk)
- DC power supply: (5V/3A) with Filter circuits
- Multi-frequency output capability to support the full I2S working range from 44.1 KHz to 196 K
- Automatically switching frequencies according to the input I2S signals
- Extremely fast and very low propagation delay Flip-Flops are added on I2s signals output from FPGA, for synchronization with MCLK before sending to DAC
- Ultra-low-noise voltage regulators for optimal audio performance
- Integrated EEPROM for automatic configuration (with write-protection)
Looking for a case? Take a look at the Allo Customizable acrylic Case!
|LED indicators||Power, Full, Lock, Empty, Sample Rate, Mclk|
|DC Power Supply||(5V/3A) with Filter circuits|
|Operating Temperature||-25C to 85C|
|Board Size||LWH = 58mm * 77.54mm * 23.8mm|
Raspberry PI DACs Compatibility
Successfully tested with:
- Collybia Mamboberry LS DAC (any DAC that works with Hifiberry DAC parameter will work)
- Piano HiFi DAC
- G2LABS AK DAC
- Audiophonics Sabre DAC
Does not work with:
- IQ-Audio PI DAC+
- Hifiberry DAC+ \ PRO
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS
Since we received some complaints for custom fees, Allo has decided to offer shipping from Europe as well. If you select “Shipping from Europe” all custom fees will be included in the order, and therefore prepaid by Allo.
You can still order with “Shipping from India”, but VAT and custom fees may apply and been added when delivered.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ALL CUSTOMERS
This product is shipped from India. International customers are responsible for any VAT and/or customs fees. These are beyond our control and will be based on declared value which is the board cost plus any options.
|Dimensions||0.58 x 0.775 x 0.238 cm|