ALLO – Boss DAC
From: 59.37 $
The best sounding PCM 1522 implementation: 3 separate power rails, 2 ultra accurate NDK clocks and a supercapacitor on signal path. This means that this DAC will let you enjoy your music in all its greatness. If you’re looking for a great sounding DAC at the right price, look no further.
IMPORTANT: BOSS Orders will be shipped around 24 of February from India, EU order will ship around 28 February
To put it short: the best implementation of PCM 1522 for Raspberry PI. Period.
The Boss DAC from ALLO is a master DAC that’s simply a best buy: if you’re looking for a great sounding yet not very expensive I2S DAC look no further.
What makes this DAC so special:
- 3 different Power Rails, with individual filtering. One for the DAC chip itself and the digital side, one for the analog stage and one for the oscillators. This translates with very very low noise floor and better clock accuracy
- Film capacitors on the output stage to reduce distortion, coupled with a super-capacitor to enhance bass representation
- 2 High quality ultra low noise NDK Crystals, for clock generation
This is why the BOSS sounds so good:
- Bass is punchy and present but yet very controlled. This is the best bass I’ve heard from any I2S DAC. That does not mean this DAC has a “dark” sound signature since it delivers a balanced reproduction.
- Dead silent. There is no noise whatsoever, therefore dynamics and detail are really standing out. The instrumental separation and level of detail is one of the best I’ve ever heard.
- Acoustic guitars and bass guitars are just fantastic with the BOSS
- Thanks to the ultra-accurate clocks in Master mode this DAC delivers an engaging musical representation (excellent PraT)
You can read my full review
How Allo describes it:
Our BOSS DAC is unique, because of the way we have implemented the design. First we separate the power on 3 channels and filter it: one for the digital side, the second for analog and third for the clocks themselves. Then we take the filtered power and use a second filter (LDOs) to further quiet the noise. Note that we use some of the best LDOs on the market (LT3042 from Linear). In addition, we use Japanese oscillators from NDK for a very low jitter clock – almost as good as famous Crystek.
Finally, on the analog stage we are using a film capacitor (not ceramic) for a quiet DC to feed the TI IC (ceramic exhibit some piezo distortion, not what you want in analog stage). Not happy with this, we have added a supercapacitor for an extra kick when analog stage is asking (like deep bass).
- Dedicated 384 kHz/32bit high-quality DAC PCM5122 for best sound quality
- Audio output connectors: 2 x RCA (Left & Right ) & Allo Volt Amp header
- HAT size
- DAC SNR is 112dB
- DAC THD+N @ -1dBFS are –87dB
- Full Scale Output of DAC is 2.1Vrms
- Dynamic Range of DAC is 112dB
- Sampling Frequency ranges from 8 kHz to 384 kHz
- Ultra-low-noise voltage regulators & LPF for optimal audio performance
- Noise level: 66.27uVrms
- Integrated EEPROM for automatic configuration (with write-protection)
- Automatically switching frequencies according to the input I2S signals
- Dual low jitter NDK crystal oscillators for Master Clock generation
- With 45.1584/49.1520 MHz Ultra Low Phase Noise Oscillators
|Operating Temperature||0C to 70C|
|Board Size||LWH = 67.4mm * 65mm * 22.2mm (NOT HAT COMPLIANT)|
IMPORTANT: SHIPPING OF BOSS DAC
BOSS Orders will be shipped around 24 of February from India, EU order will ship around 28 February
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS
Since we received some complaints for custom fees, Allo has decided to offer shipping from Europe as well. If you select “Shipping from Europe” all custom fees will be included in the order, and therefore prepaid by Allo.
You can still order with “Shipping from India”, but VAT and custom fees may apply and been added when delivered.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ALL CUSTOMERS
This product is shipped from India. International customers are responsible for any VAT and/or customs fees. These are beyond our control and will be based on declared value which is the board cost plus any options.
|Dimensions||0.674 x 0.65 x 0.222 cm|