Working on my Kithcen Music Player.....

Tell us who you are, why you love music and well... why Volumio!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Working on my Kithcen Music Player.....

Postby mbtigger » Fri Jan 11 2019 19:07

Hello Everyone.

I cook for our household, for people that have 3 different dietary restrictions. I frequently cook more than one meal in a day and spend a LOT of time on the kitchen. A couple years ago I decided to put all my music on a server and build a prototype music receiver that would fit UNDER THE KITCHEN CABINET in the space my old CD player did. For many weeks I digitized my 400 (roughly) CD's. I ordered an inexpensive 12V amp and some 4" speakers that had a nice reputation for their $20 price point. I bought a Raspberry pi and a pine 64. I ended up using the Pine64 as a low power server and the pi as my receiver. The ugly prototype worked fairly well.

Originally the prototype used LMS. I was happy with my ugly prototype and found the music server worked well enough that I decided to start digitizing my MOVIES to my server. The server is low power and cannot do any transcoding / video manipulation, so I decided against PLEX and to use local KODI software, and just create a simple NFS share on my server for movies.
In the interest of simplifying EVERYTHING I started to move away from using LMS and have my server ONLY run the NFS share. When looking at quality audio software for the pi that could access NFS share I found Volumio.

After almost 2 years I am preparing to rebuild my ugly kitchen music box prototype into something a bit more nice looking, with a touchscreen of its own , nicer wood. and a better amp. Right now I am looking at how I can customize the Web GUI so the controls are a little larger for my fat fingers...
Random avatar
mbtigger
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Return to Introduce Yourself