Workaround to display local cover art in all views

I have found a workaround to display local jpeg as cover art. This works in all views including the album view. Here are the steps:

1. ssh to volumio
  2. Navigate to the directory: /data/albumart/web/
  3. There will be a lot of directories, each corresponding to one of the artists. Within each artist directory, there will be subdirectories corresponding to each album from that artist.
  4. If you want to specify the local jpeg for an album, navigate to the subdirectory for that album (/data/albumart/web///) and copy the jpeg file in there. Then edit the info.json file and replace the text with the following lines:
    {
    ā€œextralargeā€: ā€œfolder.jpgā€
    }
    assuming, folder.jpg is the name of the jpeg. If it is called something else, type the correct filename. Thats all. If you want to change the artist image, repeat the same process, but in the directory /data/albumart/web//
  5. Close web browser, clear browse history and reopen volumio.local. The new album art will be displayed in all views of that album, such as album view, playback, playlist etc.
  6. If you have a graphical scp program like Forklift on mac, you can logon to volumio, browse to the relevant folder and drop in the folder.jpg and json.info into each album directory. Makes life easier.

These changes are not wiped out by rescan or update My Music, as long as you do not delete the albumart directory or remove all user data. Until volumio finds a more elegant way of displaying album art automatically, this seems to be a viable workaround, not too complex.

Hi sup27606,

I think itā€™s wonderful that you found out where and how to change the ā€˜rather oftenā€™ found incorrect album art.

But, no hard feelings, I think the easiest way to correct the album art is to make sure that your albums are indeed named correctly.

So, I believe it is easier, and most of all a lot less time consuming, to go on the internet and find out the correct name of your album. Make sure you change your MP3 tags (if applicable) and do a rescan.

For example: I have an album which I called ā€œAfric Simone - Ramaya (Best Of)ā€. I had a Folder.jpg file in the folder of the album, but still Volumio didnā€™t give me the correct picture for the album. The pictures on the songs in the album where all correct. So, I went to search for the exact name of the album, which is ā€œAfric Simone - Best Of Afric Simoneā€, made the necessary changes and bingo: I got the correct album art.

Your way is ideal if you want to force a specific picture to an album, or an artist. But I guess with the 3200 albums I have, and the 250 for which Volumio couldnā€™t find what I want, I guess my way is a lot faster :wink:

Thx,
Johan

1 Like

This works fine when using a web-based browser where you use volumio.local or type in the IP address of your player. It even works on the Android Volumio app. You do need some sort of Putty with a graphical interface, otherwise it would take you hours, and hoursā€¦
Something like WinSCP works great, just like you mentioned one for Mac.

However, I still have a problem, because it doesnā€™t work on my directly connected 7" LCD screenā€¦
How can I close the webbrowser? How can I clear the browse history? If you tell me how this can be done, itā€™ll probably solve my problem.
Are there any commands I have to issue in Putty?

Please let me knowā€¦

Thx,
Johan

Hi Johan,
Itā€™s great to hear that it works for you. You donā€™t have to run any command except placing the jpeg and json file at the correct location. The method of clearing browser cache wil. depend on the type of web browser you use. A google search should yield the instructions for doing so I believe.

Well, I think this setup uses Chromium, but I have no access to the settings.

You see, what Iā€™m using is a raspberry Pi3 with a Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC and a 7" LCD screen. So it is not PC-based where you simple go into your browser, and do whatever you have to do regarding deleting history, deleting cache and so on.

On the Raspberry Pi I donā€™t have direct access to these settings. Thatā€™s why I can do them, and therefore (I suppose) the history and cache remain untouched with the old and wrong picturesā€¦

Who can help me out here?

Johan

Hi Johan,
I am not familiar with the Android system, being an iPhone/iOS user. In iOS, the clearing cache option can be found in the settingsā€“>safariā€“>advanced (if I recall correctly). Something like that could be available in Android too. Searching in google gave the following command for deleting browser cache in Chromium:

sudo rm -r ~/.cache/Chromium/Default/Cache/*

Does that help? Needless to say, use it at your own risk.

Hi, after ssh login how can I found (/data/albumart/web/)

Hello ā€¦
I wanted to thank you for the excellent solution, it works great.

Iā€™ve never seen software that badly handles covers; even iTunes can not do worse.

I suspect they send us to BLISS.

It depends on how many versions we have on the same disk / CD / LP / FILE.
Not all are tracked, not even on discogs or others, especially the bootlegs, but I can understand that we are few and that in the era of the mp3 or the commercial everything works fine.