which hardware arrangement for kitchen (maybe nanosound)?

hi,

I have a Raspi3 and want to use it in my kitchen via WiFi. I don’t have anything else yet besides a Rapsi3-Case and AC-Power, a Galaxy Tab 2 with Android CM 13 and of course a WiFi connection. In any case[b] I need loudspeaker/b.

1.) I now heard of Volumio and would like to give it a try. So I need a loudspeaker, which I would prefer being a single one (not a set) like Sonos or those Streaming Boxes, because less cables and I don’t have that much space in my kitchen. But since the loudspeaker is going to be connected to my WiFi-Raspi3, I don’t need the streaming/WiFi features of a Sonos Box. Also, I am not an audiophile - it just needs to be lough enough if water is boiling and fume cupboard is running, etc. ^^ Are there any suggestions for loudspeakers connected directly to the Raspi3? I assume they need to be connected via audio jack?

2.) Now I found here these little devices called Nanosound, which look interesting, but I don’t understand: If I buy these with a 3D-printed (basic) case - is there enough space in the case so I can also put my Raspi3 in it? Or does the case (with the DAC) need to be connected with my Rapsi3 by (USB?) cable?

If you have a speaker lying around and you aren’t afraid for some DiY, you can build it inside the speaker.

i made this with:
Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver Digital TDA7492P 50W+50W Amplifier Board
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-Bluetooth-4-0-Audio-Receiver-Digital-TDA7492P-50W-50W-Amplifier-Board/32807077989.html

But you can also choose this HAT with rasberry-pi and volumio
hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-amp2/

the problem with nano sound is that it isnt yet available, but basicly a hifiberry with extra screen, knobs, and remote.

ok, thx. Let’s say I buy teh HiFiBerry Amp2…how is a loudspeaker connected to it? Via Audio Jack 3.5 mm?

Also, what is necessarry to connect my Raspi3 mainboard with the HiFiBerry Amp2 mainboard? Is there a case both fit in?

The HiFiBerry Amp sits as a HAT on top of the connections of your RPi3. You will need to look on the HiFiBerry site for possible cases. Do you need a case if you are considering building it into a speaker?

I don’t plan to build it into a speaker, because I want to stay flexible with the arrangement.

Is the HiFiBerry an AMP or a DAC (or both)?

It’s both a DAC and powered amp, I believe, but have a double check on their website.

hifiberry comes in different tastes.
hifiberry AMP is an DAC+amplifier so you connect your speakers directly.
It has also just an DAC to connect to an amplifier of your choice (stereo set),
or just Digital with a toslink to connect to your stereo.

For you is Hifiberry AMP the best.

i ordered my here https://www.sossolutions.nl/hifiberry-amp2-kit as a kit.
Its a Dutch firm. but maybe there is a local shop that makes a kit for you.

okay, thx, since I already own the Raspi3 mainboard I just ordered a HiFiBerry Amp2 platine for ca. 47,- EUR and a power supply (18V, 3.3A, 60W) for around 25,- EUR.

Do I need a special case or can I use a regular Raspi3 case?

I still need a loudspeaker. I guess, I open a new thread for asking about recommendations for the HiFiBerry Amp2 device.