What time got to do with it? [RTC + PI]

Hello All,

So I have a question for you audio/system engineers out there. Does the inherent inaccuracies of the PI’s software clock source introduce any “jitters” when trying to transfer the bitstream? I’m not an expert in this field but I know most serial communications requite an accurate clock in order to transfer data between two point on a serial interface. Since (in the Pi at least ) most audio devices are using I2S or USB an inaccurate clock could hurt transfer speeds (I believe). I know other people have played around with RT kernels to deal with the IRQ USB issues, but could adding and using a Real Time Clock rather then the software clock help in some fashion?

Thoughts?

I do not think it helps.

For most scenario’s more accurate crystals that are able to generate a much better 44.1 and 48 khz (or multiplied) signal is what you are looking for to get a better timed (serial) signal.

An RTC only keeps the time more accurate by adding the means to compensate the time drift caused by the inaccurate crystal of the Pi. So the time will be much more accurate but the serial signals are still badly timed due to the bad crystal of the Pi.

I guess what you are looking for is a way to add better crystals to your Pi :slight_smile: And that is exactly what some board like the Hifiberry Pro or Allo Kali, etc do.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk