Volumio on Raspberry Pi - SD broke

Hi!

I’ve been using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro with Volumio installed for the last few months.
It works very sporadically, often giving me distorted sounds and minute long timeouts when playing music via AirPlay.
It is only connected via wireless, I guess that’s why it sometimes doesn’t work.
Yesterday while having another one of those timeouts, I paused the music, unplugged and replugged the Raspberry Pi as I usually do to get things running again.
Unfortunately the system wouldn’t boot and upon putting the SD card into my PC to reset Volumio, I realised that the SD card was broken as it isn’t shown in either my Windows Explorer, nor the Device Manager.

How can this happen? And how can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Is there a difference between SD cards I can buy? I bought a rather fast one if I remember correctly.

Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

So 5 months into my new SD card the same thing happened.
Timeouts in the transmission --> reboot through volumio webapp -->SD card broke.

Does anybody have an answer or idea about this

UPDATE:

Seems like my Easeus Partition Manager can find the SD. Windows explorer also shows it. Very oddly though as it only shows the boot partition to be active.

Also my Easeus tool can’t format it. I tried deleting all the partitions but they just show up again, even though the program says they have been deleted.

Any ideas on how to fix this SD card?

Get a new sd card would be my advice.

Thanks for the answer!

I think there won’t be another solution as I have tried to get this SD card running again with no success.

I’m just wondering as to why my SD cards keep breaking. Don’t think im misusing them in any way.
Maybe somebody can suggest a compatible SD card that worked for them?
I’ve been using a SanDisk Ultra 16 GB Micro SD HC.

99% of the times problems with SD Cards arise because of insufficient power on Raspberry PI.
My suggestion would be to change the Power supply to one that gives 5V (you must measure it on load) and 2A

Thanks alot for the helpful answer!

I looked it up and seems like my power supply already gives enough power. Then again im really bad at electric stuff, so maybe like you said on load it doesn’t really give enough power.
I’ve been using this one

Well I just bought a new SD and everything works again :smiley: Maybe I’ll switch power supply soon…

Hello to everyone!
I update this topic because I’ve had the same issue with my SD card in a raspberry B.
I’ve read Michelangelo’s suggestion that the problem could be the miscorrect power supply of the raspberry.
I’ve checked the raccomended power supply on the official site and for model B is 1.2A, as my switching adapter.
I’ve alse read that the amount of current depends on what peripherals are connected, but I only have connected a HiFimeDIY Sabre: music is on a NAS and the raspberry is connected with RJ45 cable.
It seems all in order, the last thing to check is if my switching adapter gives the correct tensionand current, but I have to check while is under load.

How can I check it? There is some intenet site that explain how can I do it?