Volumio for Raspberry PI model B+

Discuss, contribute and orient Volumio development!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby michelangelo » Tue Aug 05 2014 22:39

Guys, I got the PI B+ (it had the same smell of my first model B, some time ago) . Arrived yesterday. It doesn't work with Volumio 1.4 cause it needs a newer kernel, modules, elf and firmare files. So, got few time, but I managed to make an image compatible with both Raspberry PI B and B+
Since I were there, I upgraded the WebUI to latest version. This removes (is a temporary removal, we're working on that) the Library Tab, adds Player name selection and fixes small bugs.

Since it features a new kernel, there could be some side-effects: some USB DACs may work better or worst, some may not be recognized and this will happen also for wireless sticks and so on.
Since the USB FIQ fix should be pretty mature and integrated into this kernel, you could also experience less crackles and better sound. This is what I experienced, but there is lot of variability with setups to be kept in mind.
So please share your feedbacks so I can improve for next version.

If however, some of you may want to retain its current configuration he just needs to connect via ssh to volumio and do:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install binutils

sudo rpi-update

This implies you'll have a working raspberry Pi model B where to perform what above. Also, it may happen that your USB DAC is muted when booted, just check with alsamixer and press m to unmute (this is fixed in the image).

Here is your download link @ sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/volumio ... p/download

CHANGELOG
- Removed Library Tab
- Added Player Name configuration (Works also for Airplay)
- Kernel Upgraded, compatible with B+ model
- Fixed unmuting script
- Improved NAS mounting

UPDATE: player name selection is not working, forgot to set appropriate permissions to rootfs before deploying the image. A temporary fix (unsafe, do at your own risk)
sudo chmod 777 /etc/hostname
sudo chmod 777 /etc/hosts
michelangelo
Founder

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby gswg » Wed Aug 06 2014 12:57

Great work Michelangelo.

Soon I'll send you the IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC+ :-)

Then you can enjoy your music in "Full HD".

BTW, what kernel version did you go with? 3.16?
- We've changed the mixer name from "playback digital" to just "PCM" for the DAC - this should make your configuration easier. 3.16 also includes the correct B+ IO settings to have I2S delivered on the 40w header.

Best regards,

Gordon@iqaudio.com
Random avatar
gswg
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby michelangelo » Wed Aug 06 2014 14:00

That is an amazing news Gordon! Really eager to listen to your DAC+!!!!!!

Hironically: I was setting up a fix for the PCM mixer when IQaudIO DAC was selected... You've done it first...
michelangelo
Founder

Raspberry Pi B+ eth0

Postby NWTStuff » Wed Aug 06 2014 14:20

FYI the FriendlyName in UI Option didn't work for me :roll:

I've tried a few times so a hope it isn't a false alarm, My last attempt

V1.41-FriendName.JPG
V1.41-FriendName.JPG (53.11 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

V1.41-FriendlyName.JPG
V1.41-FriendlyName.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

V1.41-Shairport.JPG
V1.41-Shairport.JPG (59.2 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

Not a complaint, just feedback ;)

Kevin
NWTStuff
Audiophile
Audiophile

Raspberry Pi B+ eth0

Postby michelangelo » Wed Aug 06 2014 21:54

Yep, didn't included UPNP in the process... My bad.
However with a reboot you should see airplay and hostname changed.
Let me know
michelangelo
Founder

Postby Pete » Thu Aug 07 2014 07:10

I don't know what you did Michelangelo, but the scan of my NAS (which mounted seamlessly and easily for the first time yay!!!!!) seemed much faster than before with the latest image. Thank you! :D
At what point does tinkering with one's equipment start superseding one's enjoyment of music which, of course, should be the primary purpose of the exercise.
Pete
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby MartinT » Fri Aug 08 2014 21:35

Thank you so much for the new image, Michelangelo. It works very well with my RPi B+. The sound quality through my USB-connected Beresford Caiman-II has taken a distinct upward turn and there are no tiny glitches in the sound compared with the RPi B, which I have for comparison. This shows that the USB subsystem is indeed improved. I also agree that reading the NAS contents seems faster now.

One bug I've found: after playing the first selection, any further selections no longer show a numeric time count in the Playback screen, although the circular progress bar continues to work.

Altogether, this is the best release yet. Will you be releasing a bug fix version for issues found?
MartinT
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby plasmapizza » Fri Aug 08 2014 21:43

This runs much better than 1.4 on my Model B. Thanks!
Random avatar
plasmapizza
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby thanhvo31 » Sat Aug 09 2014 10:02

Just test 1.41 with RPi B

I work out of box with my HRT microstreamer. however, Wifi dongle (TL-WN725N V2) still need some update via SSH

I also suggest Stop/ Play/ Forward buttons shall be bigger (say double side) for tablets/phones friendly.

By the way, Volumio is really nice and resurrect my old Pi.

Thank you .
Random avatar
thanhvo31
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby zCRiSiSz » Mon Aug 11 2014 12:42

Hi,

Bit of a n00b with a bit of a n00b question.

I have my RPi B+ up and running; it has cataloged the music on my NAS drive and I am able to play music via the HDMI cable.

I need to be able to play music via the 3.5mm jack plug.

I have checked the ALSA config using 'amixer' to check the settings - all things point to the 3.5mm jack being enabled however no sound is coming out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Random avatar
zCRiSiSz
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Next

Return to Development talks