Volumio built-in Access Point (Edimax ew-7811Un)

I already use since namely “Raspify” always follow developments, lovely sound, cheap device and easy to use, most of song in FLAC are hires 24/96, I succeed to setup standalone “Volumio” without router for using in car and/or portable systems.

Hardware Config

1) Raspberry Pi 2 with Volumio 1.55
2) [b][u]Edimax EW-7811Un[/u][/b]
3) SSD Harddisk/USB Thumb drive
4) M2Tech HiFace USB Dac -> NAD D3020
5) MPad, MPDroid, web UI

following step 1 to 10 below in putty

1. Update and Install packages

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install hostapd isc-dhcp-server

1. config dhcpd.conf
sudo nano /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf 
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
 authoritative;
 log-facility local7;
 subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
 range 192.168.2.10 192.168.2.50;
 option broadcast-address 192.168.2.255;
 option routers 192.168.2.1;
 default-lease-time 600;
 max-lease-time 7200;
 option domain-name "local";
 option domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4;
 }
  1. config interface
sudo nano /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server
INTERFACES="wlan0"[/code]

4) config network IP address
[code]
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.2.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
[/code]

5) config SSID and AP parameters
[code]
sudo nano /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
interface=wlan0
driver=rtl871xdrv
ssid=Volumio
hw_mode=g
channel=6
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=password
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
[/code]

6) config hostapd
[code]sudo nano /etc/default/hostapd
DAEMON_CONF="/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf"[/code]

7) Install hostapd
[code]wget http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.com/adafruit_hostapd_14128.zip
unzip adafruit_hostapd_14128.zip
sudo mv /usr/sbin/hostapd /usr/sbin/hostapd.ORIG
sudo mv hostapd /usr/sbin
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/hostapd
  1. config Hosts

sudo nano /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.0.1 Volumio 192.168.2.1 Volumio

1. Start services

sudo service hostapd start sudo service isc-dhcp-server start

1. Start Access point
sudo /usr/sbin/hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

Reboot the system disconnect lan cable and now your Volumio standalone unit can reach via WIFI
adjust appropriated parameters according to yours configuration SSID, Password, IP address

IP address: 192.168.2.1
SSID: Volumio
Password: password

and now you can enjoy music.
RPI 2 AP Project-2.jpg
RPI 2 AP Project.jpg

Nice and interresting job as airplay isn’t available in my car , thanks for sharing.

Hi,

I followed your guide (I think the only difference is installing the driver for the wifi adapter as described in https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=102323&p=782878).
I can see the volumio network from my laptop, but cannot connect: it keeps asking me the password.

Do you know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Max

If you followed the instructions you probably have set a password. If you copied the code I bet your password is password.

You could try to change your password in /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf as configured in step 5.

I used the password password, but it doesn’t connect…

Hey There!

Has anybody tried it out with the Raspberry 1 ?

At the moment, i have a raspy 2 at home, but for other purposes. I also have a raspberry pi type 1, which is not in use at the moment.
I cannot test it out, because I would have to buy the edimax Wifi Adapter first.

Greets Pascal_33

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
You’re not required to get the aforementioned wifi adapter any working that supports ap mode should be fine. (most these days are)

Hi Pascal

I already try with Raspberry 1 Model B, It ok but you don’t have any change to install external DAC due to 2 USB port one port already utilized by Edimax and remaining use for USB drive and sound will output to 3.5 mm port only event I try with I2S dac (system will freeze except you have to bypass polyfuse supply to USB bus), compare to Raspberry 2 power distribution it’s better than Pi 1 and give you 4 USB ports

Cheers, taiwops

I know, the most USB to WLAN Adapter are able to work as an access point, but not my one (it’s an old Netgear WNA-1000 Wireless-N 150).
I am not able to start the services hostapd, it returns failed and something with the driver.
That is why I already ordered an Edimax EW-7811 UN yesterday, will try it to configure next week.
The Configuration shouldn’t be a problem, based on the positive Feedbacks here :smiley:

Thanks for your fast replies !

Thanks so much for posting this article. I’m a total Raspberry/Volumio noob and had me up and running in less than an hour. I was unsuccessfully trying to get Volumio to read music files off of a USB connected HDD but I’m going with USB flash drives since they suck less power and they’re instantly readable by Volumio.

I’m using an HRT microstreamer DAC with my Raspberry and the sound quality is impressive–listening non-critically at the office. I was surprised that Volumio can’t play wma files. Time to spend a few hours re-ripping some cd’s. lol
FullSizeRender.jpg

I was wondering if you knew how to code for this scenario: using the Raspberry Pi as a Volumio w/ built-in access point and wifi client functionality. I love using my Raspberry Pi as a music server at home and at work. But, when my phone is controlling Volumio, it doesn’t have internet access. How do I configure Volumio to act as a wifi client/access point?

same problem…
no internat connection…
it would be great if i connect with wifi to raspberry i keep the functionality of the control app and the 3G connection… any news about the configuration??
ad-hoc wifi?? gateway??