Volumio 2 and PiTFT Adafruit 2.8

hello,

Is Volumio 2 (last release v2.348) compatible with Adafruit PiTFT 2.8 ?
I installed screen with adafruit helper but volumio doesn’t boot anymore

regards

1 Like

Hello, i’ve the same problem.

I’m testing with adafruit tutorial and this 6ftdan.com/allyourdev/2017/03/1 … pberry-pi/ and i’ve this error :

modprobe: can't change directory to '3.18.14+': No surch file or directory modprobe: can't change directory to '3.18.14+': No surch file or directory modprobe: can't change directory to '3.18.14+': No surch file or directory mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/static failed: No such device cat: can't open '/mnt/static/etc/os-release': no such file or directory mount: mounting overlay on /mnt/ext/union failed: no such device mount: mountin /mnt/static on mnt/ext/union/static failed: invalid argument switch_root: error moving root: Invalid argument

I advanced on the display of the volumio interface on a tft. In / boot / overlays there is the driver needed to recognize the screen by the kernel.

To activate it you must modify the file /boot/config.txt and add these lines

dtparam=i2c_arm=on dtparam=i2c_vc=on dtparam=spi=on dtoverlay=pitft28-resistive,rotate=90,speed=32000000,fps=20

Edit the file /boot/cmdline.txt and add it at the end of the line

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x8 consoleblank=0

a reboot and the screen should turn on and display the linux console. I just have a problem now to make sure that the midori browser is displayed on the tft via framebuffer

Hi,

did you get it running? I have the same problem here. Having a RaspberryPi with the adafruit 3.2 display. After installing the display with the official adafruit script (after installing the unzip package that has been missing), the Pi does not boot anymore.

Check out the last part of wave-share-and-volumio-t5439-10.html#p52679 - that should get the X11 onto your screen.

I have now a RaspiPi 3 B+ with Volumio and the Adafruit 3.2 Touchscreen running - at least mostly, see the end of the posting. But first of all, a summary with the steps I did to get it running (some of the have been copied from above and the linked thread, but I think it is nice to have a complete list):

1. Flash latest Volumino to microSD card
  2. Start the RaspiPi, set up network, activate SSH and login
  3. Install unzip and raspi-config as they are needed by the adafruit script

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install unzip sudp apt-get install raspi-config
4. Install adafruit driver:

cd ~ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/adafruit-pitft.sh chmod +x adafruit-pitft.sh sudo ./adafruit-pitft.sh
5. After that, do NOT reboot
6. modify the file /boot/config.txt and add these lines

dtparam=i2c_arm=on dtparam=i2c_vc=on dtparam=spi=on dtoverlay=pitft28-resistive,rotate=90,speed=32000000,fps=20
(some have already been existing)
7. Edit the file /boot/cmdline.txt and add it at the end of the line

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x8 consoleblank=0
  1. Reboot
  2. Install touch plugin via Web interface
  3. Log in by SSH again and execute the following commands:

sudo systemctl stop volumio-kiosk.service sudo sed -i "s+/dev/fb0+/dev/fb1+" /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf sudo systemctl start volumio-kiosk.service
11. To calibrate the touchscreen, stop the kiosk mode again and calibrate the touchscreen (see https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-28-inch-resistive-touchscreen-display-raspberry-pi?view=all)

Now it is NEARLY perfect. My only remaining problems: Even as the Touchscreen is calibrated, the events do not fit to the UI. To press an element, I have to click the position 90° clockwise on the touch :open_mouth: :unamused: :confused: Does anyone have an idea what I have to do to solve this?

2 Likes

OK, I found how I have to rotate the touch config. So the missing step is:
12) Edit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf. At section touchscreen, add the following line

Option "TransformationMatrix" "0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1"
This matrix fits for the 90° turned display (see rotate=90 at /boot/config.txt). In case you have turned the display 270, the line must be

Option "TransformationMatrix" "0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"

Does this work with the 5" adafruit touchscreen?

1 Like

u saved my life! or at least I can catch more sleep now.
Thanks for sharing how to set up volumio with adafruit touch screen :slight_smile:

Nice to know that it helped somebody! :grinning:

I just realized that the formatting of the command lines got lost during the update of the forum software and there is no edit button, but obviously you managed it anyway…

I had Volumio running on my Pi3 b=B+ and pitft3.2 and an update broke it. 3 new inages and I still can’t get the screen working. when I follow your instructions, at " wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/adafruit-pitft.sh" I get Error 404 not found. How can I work around this?

Well, Error 404 sounds as if they removed it from the server :frowning: You have to try to find out if the put it on a new location or if it is lost…

That’s why I will not do any updates as long as my system is running fine. Never touch a running system…

I just stumbled upon Volumio a few days ago and absolutely loving it. I’m running it on a Pi3 and old PiTFT 2.8 resistive (with the old 26-pin connector). @ThomasM your instructions and method are amazing - they still work today.

In answer to @kc8dhp, Adafruit have deprecated their old Shell script for setting up the PiTFT. They have replaced it with a Python script, but one that relies on Python >= 3.5 which isn’t available on the Volumio image. Building a newer Python on their appliance image isn’t easy (I tried and failed), but what you can do is download the older Adafruit Shell script from an old branch of their Github repo - branches might get deleted as they get older, but I ran:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/libgpiod_python_install/adafruit-pitft.sh 

Once you have that file, proceed with the instructions as above. Still testing - here but so far looks good once you work around this!

Hello, this is my first post here. I have a RPi3 B+, Hifiberry DAC2+ on a latest Volumio V3.179 and trying to attach a 3.5" Adafruit PITFT touch screen. I followed the ThomasM steps to install the Adafruit drivers, but after running the installer script I have this error:

This script downloads and installs
PiTFT Support using userspace touch
controls and a DTO for display drawing.
one of several configuration files.
Run time of up to 5 minutes. Reboot required!

Select configuration:
1. PiTFT 2.4", 2.8" or 3.2" resistive (240x320)
2. PiTFT 2.2" no touch (240x320)
3. PiTFT 2.8" capacitive touch (240x320)
4. PiTFT 3.5" resistive touch (320x480)
5. Quit without installing

SELECT 1-5: 4
Select rotation:
1. 90 degrees (landscape)
2. 180 degrees (portait)
3. 270 degrees (landscape)
4. 0 degrees (portait)

SELECT 1-4: 1
[PITFT] Checking init system…
Found systemd
/boot is mounted
[PITFT] Exiting due to error: /home/pi must be an existing directory (use -u /ho me/foo to specify)
volumio@volumio:~$

From what I see the problem is that in Volumio OS this directory doesn’t exist.
In fact, the screen is working, but only show me the welcome message of Volumio,
I tried also to install the PITFT drivers from Adafruit website, but these are Python3 scripts and although I have installed both Python2 and 3 versions on Volumio, I dont know how to switch between.
Any help will be appreciate.