Volume Control with HifiBerry DAC+ ?

Hi,

I just switched from a RaspberryPi B with a HifiBerry DAC running a patched Volumio 1.5 to a RaspberryPi B+ with a HifiBerry DAC+ running Volumio 1.51.

I was up and running in no time and got the system working as before. Volumio rocks !

However, I have the impression that the output is slightly clipping/distorted, especially with Airplay (shairport), less audibly so with MPD. It seems HifiBerry suggests turning down volume control a bit.

hifiberry.com/forums/topic/ … -clipping/
hifiberry.com/2014/12/guide- … xbmc-kodi/

One of the differences between the older DAC and newer DAC+ is supposed to be hardware volume control. But I can’t seem to get that working.

I have ‘HifiBerry +’ as i2s driver, ‘sndrpihifiberry’ as audio output and ‘Hardware’ as volume mixer control.

mpd.conf has

audio_output {

type           "alsa"
             name           "Output"
             device         "hw:0,0"
             mixer_control  "PCM"
             mixer_device   "hw:0"
             mixer_index    "0"
             dop    "no"

}

I can’t control volume, not in the UI, and I can’t find how to do it with amixer command line, it does not seem to know any device/card (aplay -l can’t find any).

Has anyone figured this out ?

Anyone with the same setup ?

Thx,

Sven

Hi Sven,

give it a try

mixer_control  "Playback Digital"

Klaus :slight_smile:

Hi Klaus,

I manually edited mpd.conf like you suggested, and restart mpd.

And now I can control volume using the volumio web UI, both for mpd playback as well as shairport playback.

Running at 85% volume give a much better result.

This is great, thank you very much !

Sven

PS:

So I guess that this means something has to be done so that not everybody has to do it like that, nerds with linux command line skills are a very small part of the overall population :wink:

I think so too. :nerd::wink:

Hello

I have been experiencing this same issue with the hardware volume control not working with the DAC+ and pi 2.

It lookalike the solution is to edit the map.config file. However, I am totally new to the Pi and have no idea how to do this. Is there a step by step guide?

Many thanks in advance.

Ed