upsampling volumio2

Hi,
will the upsampling feature be reimplemented into the volumio2 release?
I think it is an necessary feature to run an DAC in 24bit with 16bit files. As well with higher sampling frequencies. In most cases this improves 16bit music.

Perfect would be the possibility to keep 24bit files untouched at all and upsampling only for 16bit files if wanted.

Cheers
Alex

Upsampling on the fly is very processor intensive. The perceived sonic benefits of up sampling from 16 bit to 24 bit by software will be erased by the latency of the CPU.

Why not look for an up sampling DAC - something that uses an AD1896 or SRC4192 up sampling chip?

Yes I know, but with Volumio 1.55 it works perfect on a raspberry pi2 B. So I wondering how to do this in Volumio2.
The hardware way is possible of course, I have a couple of self build DACs and won’t build any sample rate converters at the moment.

1 Like

Anyone fancy explaining the advantages of upsampling? I know what it is (basically) but don’t understand why it is desirable.

I can’t say if it’s good or not… But if I had to do taht, I’ll start to have a look in alsa, asound.conf especially to up sample volumio output (mpd, spotify and any future source).
Have a look here :
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
https://wiki.parabola.nu/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

Cheers bud, much appreciated

Upsampling was quite fashionable in the late 2000s and was touted as the “magic pill” that promised to make 16 bit 44.1kHz red-book (CD quality) audio files sound like 24-96, or at least approximate 24-96.

Upsampling chips like the SRC4192 could take any bit depth and sampling rate and upsample the stream to 24-96 or 24-192 if you knew how to properly implement the hardware coded setup.

Coupled with a good 24-96 or 24-192 DAC chip (many like to use the PCM-1794 chip) and a re-clocked data stream using a high quality oscillator you could get very good sound indeed, and much better than most 16 bit 44.1 kHz DACs on the market, and could turn your run-of-the-mill CD player (with SPDIF or TOSLINK connections) into a great sounding player.

The reality is, that up-sampling can sound better if implemented properly. It definitely smooths out harsh sounding red book audio files into something more high end. Improperly applied, it could make the original source sound worse.

I like up-sampling, personally.

Yes, thats right.
For me upsampling makes CD files much more better sounding, and thats the way a lot of high-end CD players do. Less artefacts and more analogue sound. This makes sense only for 16bit of course. I’m using PCM1794 too, for me one of the best DAC chips, better than the newer 32bit versions. I like the smooth, natural BurrBrown sound.

So I’m wondering how to make resampling with Volumio2, version 1.55 had an resampler. Worked fine with rpi2 or 3, for best resolution you need more cpu power of course.

I’m not very familiar with programming, tried to make some changes in the alsa section, but no success. Implementing the sox resampler properly could be a solution.

I tried my PCM1794 Dual with Sox setting to high in Moodeaudio. It sounds good but I could not even enable the PCM1794 overlay and MPD oversampling option.

I like Volumio interface.

The resampling option is ready to be included in new versions, but we’re holding it until we find a stable version of mpd

Is there another mpd stability issue apart the libupnp6 issue?
Is upsampling still crashing mpd with proper libupnp6?

Latest update has got the upsampling feature. Thanks!

Works perfect with my dac.
dial-audio.jimdo.com/shop/diy

Hi guys - sorry I’m a bit late to the conversation.

I have tried the upsampling feature of volumio and I really like it- however a lot of my music is streamed on linethrough Apple MUSIC.

Is there any way you can make this work for streamed music from Apple? I would really love this to work - but I’m not tech-savvy enough…

So let me make a request :slight_smile: