[Solved] Udoo Quad - eSata HDD - Cannot update DATABASE.

Hello,

My udoo can’t see my eSata HDD.
I just can’t update it automatically.
Is there any work around?

I’ve been told that is should be plug and play with eSata as well.

Cheers,

That issue is in my interest either. I want to proceed with volumio and udoo in the nearest future. Especially the esata connection to me makes much sense to be used.

Robert

I totally agree!

bump

Hi ,
sorry for late response! Overwhelmed by daily work…
Well, the SATA doesn’t work just because I didn’t implement it hehehe… But it will be a matter of minutes, don’t worry. So, first connect the SATA drive, then fire it up. Look at this tutorial, is good for understanding the wiring and check you made everything allright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_zkN0ZDVw

Then, connect via SSH (user root and pw volumio)

First, we create the folder where your hard drive will be mounted:

mkdir /mnt/HARDDRIVE 

(or whatever you want to call it)

Now, we grant full permission to that folder

chmod -R 777 /mnt/HARDDRIVE

Now, we create a symlink into MPD music folder to our newly created one, so MPD will index this as well

first we check that the symlink is not yet enabled (link to /mnt/)

cd /var/lib/mpd/music ls

if you don’t see the folder HARDRIVE we actually create a symlink

ln -s /mnt/HARDDRIVE

Now, let’s see how your Hard drive is called:

fdisk -l

You should see a list, and be able to recognize your 2TB drive. Assuming is called /dev/sda1, we mount it:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/HARDDRIVE

Now, let’s see if it is properly mounted, and if we can see the files in it

cd /mnt/HARDDRIVE ln -s

If you can see the files, the last thing is enabling this to be mounted at boot . We add a line to fstab

nano /etc/fstab

Add this at the end (change the name with the name of your drive.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/HARDDISK vfat defaults 0 0

if it is FAT32

/dev/sda1 /mnt/HARDDISK ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

if it is NTFS

Done! Now update your database and enjoy!!!

If something goes wrong just let me know! :wink:

AWESOME,

you are a STAR :smiley:

thank you!

Thank you sir, my udoo is running great with an old hard drive attached.

I noticed one typo in the instructions: the sample fstab configurations refer to HARDDISK while the other instruction use HARDDRIVE.

Another thank you for this instruction.
My follow-up question: How do i connect to the sata hdd from another computer?
I can connect to: \192.168.1.100\NAS Music \USB Music \WebRadio \Ramplay.
expectantly
ww

You have to edit the samba configuration file and add your sata drive…

nano /var/www/_OS_SETTINGS/etc/samba/smb.conf

Add in the end

[SATA Music] comment = SATA stored music library path = /var/lib/mpd/music/(your directory name) read only = no public = yes follow symlinks = yes wide links = yes

Save it, and copy it

cp /var/www/_OS_SETTINGS/etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/

works fine.
another thank you (and a donation for your support).

Hi Michelangelo,
I want to add my serial ata hdd to volumio.
I follow the step above, but when I’m at step fdisk -l I don’t see the hdd device. Only the 8gigabyte of the sd card.

I remember that I try also with OpenMediaVault, but also in this case I’m unable to see the serial ata Hdd… so it could be a hardware problem of udoo serial ata?
I just format at low level the hdd, and after format it with ntfs file system.

Thanks for the support!

Hi Michelangelo, in version 1.5 of volumio for udoo quad, the procedure does not work well for sata hd, files on your hard drive will only appear if you put in the “search” the name of the hard disk, but if you click on “browse”, the name of the hard disk does not appear, while version 1.4 worked well.
Thanks, excuse the grammar but I’m Italian and I translated with google.

This was very useful and I can confirm that it is possible to mount an SATA drive with volumio 1.5.

However I have the same problem as antoman, when you browse the library using the Web GUI the HARDDRIVE folder does not appear and you have to do a search for the folders/files that are on it.

The HARDDRIVE contents does show up when using MPaD though.

See the FAQ, symbolic links.
faq-and-the-answers-for-t1545.html

Hi MobeyDuck thanks for your reply.

I have already created a simlink as per michelangelo’s instructions.

When I checked all of the simlinks in /var/lib/mpd/music I get the following

root@volumio:/var/lib/mpd/music# ls -la /var/lib/mpd/music/ | grep "\->" lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Dec 17 09:09 HARDDRIVE -> /mnt/HARDDRIVE lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 30 13:56 NAS -> /mnt/NAS lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 30 13:56 RAMPLAY -> /run/shm lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Nov 30 13:56 UPNP -> /mnt/UPNP lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 30 13:56 USB -> /mnt/USB

When I enter

cd /var/lib/mpd/music ls

I see

HARDDRIVE  NAS  RAMPLAY  UPNP  USB  WEBRADIO

So I presume the simlink is correct

As in the FAQ:
Version 1.5
There is a small bug that the newly created link doesn’t show in the browse tab.
Workaround: create a symlink in one of the existing locations.

So your HARDDRIVE does not show in the webui because of this. So use the workaround, create a symlink in one of the existing locations. This is the easiest and fastest solution.

Hi Moby Duck many thanks.

I created the link inside RAMPLAY and can now see the contents of the SATA hard drive when I browse.

[code]cd /var/lib/mpd/music/RAMPLAY

ln -s /mnt/HARDDRIVE[/code]

ok, now I see the files but not in network sharing!

read the post by michelangelo » 09 Jul 2014, 23:42 on the previous page or the FAQ. It’s there.

Hi, first of all thank you for responding, I had already configured the samba but nothing appears on the 1.5 version in the network share while version 1.4 all works, thanks again, see you soon.