Turning off HDMI/composite to save power

Discuss about Hardware diy and tweaks

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby Twerp » Wed Jul 23 2014 11:37

Apparently, this command will turn off the HDMI and composite signals and save around 20mA

Code: Select all
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -off

http://www.daveakerman.com/?page_id=1294

Seeing as Volumio is headless and can be operated via SSH if need be, would this be a worthwhile addition?

The only problem I see is setting up wireless on a Raspberry Pi Model A which may need the video signal to start with.

I guess also, that having less electrical activity *MIGHT* potentially reduce interference and improve sound quality. Although more likely it will have no discernible effect.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning. :D

Perhaps there could be a toggle in the "Services management" section of the system menu. I like tweakability, although I like the idea of keeping Volumio as simple as possible.
Hardware: Raspberry Pi model A, Hifidiyme ES9023 I2S DAC, NAD 310 amplifier, Tannoy Mercury F3 speakers

Software: Volumio 1.55, Cantata 1.5.2 (Windows), MPDroid 1.07.2 (Android)
Twerp
Audiophile
Audiophile

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby joda2 » Wed Jul 23 2014 20:41

added to the "Suggest a Feature" Thread
Volumio 1.5 supports Spotify 8-)

Changelog: http://goo.gl/rkjrqe

if you found a grammatical error you can keep it for yourselve
joda2

Postby bdouble » Mon Jul 28 2014 18:13

any idea how to do this on a Cubox?
bdouble
Serious Listener
Serious Listener

Postby Twerp » Mon Jul 28 2014 19:28

bdouble wrote:any idea how to do this on a Cubox?

No idea! :D

However, if this tweak is of any use, the tvservice command will have to be added to Volumio again, because it's missing from the Volumio distribution. I'm afraid that don't have the expertise to do it!
Hardware: Raspberry Pi model A, Hifidiyme ES9023 I2S DAC, NAD 310 amplifier, Tannoy Mercury F3 speakers

Twerp
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby otroangel » Fri Nov 07 2014 15:43

Along with this lines, it could be good to add also the possibility to stop spinning the HD if any. That can be done by keeping "hdparm" tool in the system.
Random avatar
otroangel
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby MobeyDuck » Fri Nov 07 2014 18:27

Does hdparm work with USB HHD's? If it does it would be a great addition IF there isnt a power problem to spin up the disk, this would require some testing. But both these options sound like great additions to the system / settings page
MobeyDuck

Postby Twerp » Sat Nov 08 2014 11:42

On the topic of saving power.......

The Raspberry Pi cmdline.txt file includes this command:

force_turbo=1

And, according to this website http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#force_turbo_mode it means the following:

force_turbo mode

force_turbo=0
enables dynamic clocks and voltage for the ARM core, GPU core and SDRAM. When busy, ARM frequency go up to "arm_freq" and down to "arm_freq_min" on idle. "core_freq", "sdram_freq" and "over_voltage" behave the same. "over_voltage" is limited to 6 (1.35 V). Non default values for the H.264/V3D/ISP parts are ignored.

force_turbo=1
disables dynamic clocking, so all frequencies and voltages stay high. Overclocking of H.264/V3D/ISP GPU parts is allowed as well as setting "over_voltage" to 8 (1.4 V).

Volumio doesn't really use many resources as it stands. Is there any need have force_turbo=1 when all processes are using very little? I know we're talking minute amounts of power even with force_turbo=1, but many ARM devices (phones especially) work fine with dynamic frequency scaling.

Twerp
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby MobeyDuck » Thu Nov 13 2014 23:21

See: switching-governor-performance-what-t410.html?hilit=cpu#p1936

Michelangelo stated that there were some lag troubles when it wasn't turned on. He states that 800 is used but mine uses a stock 700.

Personally i believe it should be turned of, but the Governor should be told to set 700 as the minimal clock so over-clocking works dynamically. This can be done using
arm_freq_min = 700
MobeyDuck

Postby Twerp » Fri Nov 14 2014 10:57

MobeyDuck wrote:See: switching-governor-performance-what-t410.html?hilit=cpu#p1936

Michelangelo stated that there were some lag troubles when it wasn't turned on. He states that 800 is used but mine uses a stock 700.

Personally i believe it should be turned of, but the Governor should be told to set 700 as the minimal clock so over-clocking works dynamically. This can be done using
arm_freq_min = 700

Thanks. Yeah, glitch-free music takes priority over power saving. I'll leave it as it is.

Twerp
Audiophile
Audiophile

Postby otroangel » Mon Feb 02 2015 15:51

MobeyDuck wrote:Does hdparm work with USB HHD's? If it does it would be a great addition IF there isnt a power problem to spin up the disk, this would require some testing. But both these options sound like great additions to the system / settings page

Sorry for the delay. In my case, I have a HD with external PSU and yes, it is possible to use hdparm with that. However, I'm using XFS. I was not able to stop spinning with EXTFS for instance, even with anotime etc params when mounting it. XFS seems to be designed for big files (flacs, wavs, apes, etc in my case) and no problem so far, stopping after X minutes of inactrivity.
Random avatar
otroangel
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Next

Return to Diy and Tweaks