ttyACM0 permission denied - Adafruit usb2serial backpack LCD

HI all,

I rediscover recently volumio. It might replace my current daphile setup soon…I installed volumio on on my diy streamer. I am now willing to see what can be done with the two lcds that are connected through USB to my x86 motherboard. I am uisng usb2serial backpack + lcd coming from adafruit. Both were running fine with daphile on which i ended develping a dedicated service to retrive songs /artists info from the LMS server…

I would like to reprocduce this.
1/first issue I bumpde in was the ssh access that I overcame easily reading the faq
2/second one is actually the /dev/ttyACM permission denied error I tried some chmod 666 and other command to add the volumio user to the dialout group…but without success.

I run volumio from a usb at the moment.

3/How do people usually handle lcd to display songs /artist / bitrate infos ?

any help is welcome :unamused:

regards

pattdepanick

ok working now without sudo I did a simple echo > /dev/ttyACM0 and everything is fine.

Now what is the best way to retrieve infos from volumio to display them on one or two 16x2 lcds ?

Most people use the ‘Touch Screen plugin’ on SBCs through i2c or hdmi out. For x86, again hdmi, so you’re out trailblazing on this one :slight_smile: Let us know how you get on.

Edit: actually, have a look at this thread lcd-16x2-display-rpi2-t7138.html

Hi chsims1

I know i don’t go the usual track, however I am very sqtisfied with my current setups (I run two systems based on x86 hardware : both formerly on daphile…the first iteration was using x86 motherboard connected to an ardunio on wich an oled was connected (could I have done more complicated ? I doubt it :smiley: … second one also based on x86 hw+ usb to serial adafruit backpack…in both case lcd or oled was showing up as ttyACM0 )

Now volumio seems like daphile to support the lcd backpack, my lcd is appearing as ttyACM0…I could recreate some dirty scripts as I did last time (init.d and rc files leveraging some python scripts) but I am so poor at developing that it does not fulfill my expectations…

I looked at the different works, python-mpd2, mpdlcd. But It seems to me that they are all raspeberry related…All I am looking for is right python scripts that could run in the background as a service and provide me with song title, duration of song, artist, album and bitrate. I Think I could handle the display part…

I managed to write a simple python program based on some python-mpd2 libraries…however I am only querying mpd one shot…I’d rather register to ao ngoing stream of data…That I don’t know how to do…

Shall I precise again that I am no good at developing :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

my vintage streamer based on a sony dsr1000 from the 90’s…

sony-vintage1.jpg

thanks

pattdepanick

I don’t know if or how this info can be queried. I would think it might be useful to raise it on the Github site github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues