Trying to pick a Digital audio out, which one should I get?

I got some new speakers (yay :slight_smile: ). Said speakers only have an AES/EBU input. So, I want to switch from my current setup using the HDMI output of the Pi for 6 channels of audio to a setup using a 2 channel SPDIF output. I’m using an unbalanced/balanced transformer to convert SPDIF to AES/EBU. If there’s a direct way to go from i2s to AES, I’d love to hear about it.

I would like to have:

1. SPDIF or AES digital output (24/96 or better)
  2. Ideally using the i2s bus
  3. keep some GPIO pins available
  4. analog audio input(s) (also 24/96 if possible)
  5. Work with volumio without too much fuss

My question is, what is what’s the best way to go?

I’ve seen plenty of USB to SPDIF converters around - do they sound as good as the i2s converters?
Can Volumio support audio inputs?
If I want analog and digital inputs and outputs, can I use the inputs and outputs at the same time? I want to read from the input, do some digital signal processing, then output to SPDIF (or AES).

…

Or just get a hifiberry digi and give up on having analog inputs ?
:confused:

The Digi is a good option :slight_smile:

Which speakers? They do the D/A conversion I assume?

Why do you want analog inputs? Not happy with the source signal?

Volumio is oriented at playback the best quality and that is usually not by altering the source :slight_smile:

You can do some processing but I would spent the time/money on getting better source material if your source is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Meridian M6

Nothing wrong with the source, I just want to condense my analog and digital systems into one system now that I have these very nice (but digital input only) speakers

It’s not really about the source, but about being able to apply some “room” correction with the Pi. I’ve done the room correction and crossover with my previous homebrew system, and it it works quite well on the Pi. see : instructables.com/id/Raspber … rossover-/

So, it would be nice to bring everything into one system, run it all through the pi, and apply some digital room correction as well.