Touchscreen Volumio DIY Project- Help for a complete newbie

Hi All

I already have a Rasberry Pi 1 with Hiberry Digi output I have been running for 4 years and it has been great

I am starting a new project to build a Pi 3 with touchscreen in a case, i want to do the following:

Control the PI broadly through a MPD on our familys phones but also have a touch screen on the unit so the kids can select their own music.

I see lots of people are also attempting the same and have been reading through the forums. As a real newbie my questions are really rudimentary and hopefully easy to answer.

1. I note you can run a touch screen with a Digi/DAC off the GP10. If i put an extension board on to the Pi and put the Digi off one and HDMI control off another should it work okay? Does running HDMI control of the GP 10 affect the quality of the digital output?

2. With the HDMI running with the Pi, can i put a power button for the screen only? I normally just leave the Pi on permanently it draws so little power!

3. Waveshare do a 4" touchscreen ( i am looking for something small). I note people have had problems getting them to work in the past. Are they okay now?

4. is it easy enough to change the volumio web interface for a small screen? Album art and buttons rather than volume? I can write HTML etc and would be happy to (attempt to) write something that the community can use.

Thanks!

Considering i know shit i have got further than i thought with this project. I have bought the waveshare 4" HDMI touchscreen and have got the screen working with volumio by doing the following:

by using the touchscreen plugin and also adding the following to the boot code:

hdmi_group=2 hdmi_mode=87 hdmi_cvt 480 800 60 6 0 0 0 dtoverlay=ads7846,cs=1,penirq=25,penirq_pull=2,speed=50000,keep_vref_on=0,swapxy=0,pmax=255,xohms=150,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=3900 display_rotate=3

The touchscreen was not calibrated so i used the Xinput Calibrator to get settings and as per previous posts on the forum, I added the following to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-callibration.conf

Section "InputClass" Identifier "calibration" MatchProduct "ADS7846 Touchscreen" Option "Calibration" "1199 1206 3265 3322" Option "SwapAxes" "1"

when i reboot the PI the touch screen then only reboots to command line and does not show the web interface. Any ideas on where i am going wrong?

Thanks!