Tidal + Bubble uPnP + Volumio + receiver = workable?

If this has been covered somewhere recently just post the links and I’ll go. I couldn’t get google to cough anything up. At any rate…

I’ve been using Bubble uPnP on my android phone to stream Tidal directly to my receiver’s (Pioneer SC-89) uPnP renderer for several years now. But I can’t get gapless playback and it’s been driving me a little nuts.

So I got a brand-new Raspberry Pi kit from Amazon last week and, eventually, stumbled across Volumio. I got all the pieces in place and successfully installed a (current-as-of-two-days-ago) working Volumio system. The phone uses my WLAN, but the Volumio and receiver are hard-wired (into the same switch no less). I was able to use Bubble uPnP to stream FLAC files from my (synology) SAN’s uPnP server to the Volumio. Gapless and everything!

However, I can’t get BubbleUPnP to stream Tidal to Volumio. I get errors that I’ll post later if it matters, but first I wanted to check: Is this even possible? In my head, it seems like it’d be a no-brainer. My android phone would stand between Tidal and Volumio, and the rest would just work.

But it’s not working. Should it?

Hi

A bit late to the ball, but I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem…

I have had this working before, but have changed subscription (now paid through my phone provider) and phone since then.
Bubbleupnp will log into my account alright, i.e. I can add songs to the playlist - but it will not play them and throws an error code 501 (timeout) after a while…

BR
Jakob

And now I just remembered the “solution”…for some reason Tidal streaming doesn’t work with open home renderers (annoyingly!).
I hope support will be added in the future, but until then use the “normal” renderer as target (and remember to clear the corresponding open home renderers playlist, or it may interfere with track changes)…

/Jakob