Pi-Supply Switch (v1.1) working with Volumio (v2.246)

Getting a Pi-Supply Switch (v1.1) working with Volumio (v2.246)

I’m new to Volumio - and spent the past few hours figuring out how to get a Pi-Supply Switch to work with Volumio. To save someone the few hours I’ve spent, I’ve thrown together a quick guide. I hope it’ll be useful for someone.

Firstly - I’m blown away by this whole project. I’ve got amazing results in no time at all. The audio quality is stunning.

My setup:
Raspberry Pi 3B / Volumio v2.246
Pi-Supply Switch v1.1 https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-supply-raspberry-pi-power-switch/
7-Inch Official Raspberry Pi Touch Screen
IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ Pro
“Tangent Ampster” Amplifier and Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers.

I’ve slightly modified the Pi-Supply board - inward power supply soldered directly to relay pins, outgoing supply soldered directly to header pins (instead of USB) and connected to Pin1 (+5v) and Pin7 (gnd) on the Pi (Actually, on the duplicate header on the DAC). I couldn’t find USB cables that didn’t lead to voltage drops and instability. The “hard wired” method is much cheaper and neater anyway.

Fresh volumio build with Touch Screen Plugin and GPIO Buttons plugin active
(Play/Pause on GPIO 13(Pin16-3.3v), FWD on GPIO 7(26-Gnd), RWD on GPIO 8(pin24-Gnd))

Do not connect the Pi-Supply yet.

Power up and connect with SSH (in my case on 192.168.0.13 Port22)

Run the following in this order:

1. sudo -i
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install python-dev python-rpi.gpio
  4. curl -sSL pisupp.ly/piswitchcode | sudo bash

Then soft power down using the menu in Volumio.

Connect the Pi-Supply power input and output to the Pi. Then connect the logic signals using Pi-Supply Pin7->GPIO4(pin 7) and Pin8->GPIO17(Pin 11)

Switch on the power supply to the Pi-Supply Switch - nothing should happen. (Current drawn is 0mA).

Boot up by pressing the momentary ON button. (Current jumps to 160, then 600-1500mA during boot - mine settles out around 800mA whilst playing music.) The red LED on the Pi-Supply Switch board comes on during the boot up.

Soft shut down by pressing the momentary “SOFT OFF” button… volumio soft shuts down (current draw drops to 160-180mA), then after a few minutes the Pi-Supply opens the relay and kills power to the Pi (current back to 0mA).

Hi,

I just came across this - I’d be curious to see photos of how your wiring is set-up, I’m a bad visualiser and this actually sounds like just what I need.

Thanks for this Guide!
It is working for me with a Raspi3, Volumio 2.296, Audiophonics es9023 v2 and Pi-Supply Switch 1.1 very well.

AtB
Maartin