Sparky 2.282 Restart

The Restart button shuts down Volumio, but no longer restarts.

How does the Volume Web UI Shutdown Restart button work? What code is associated with it? It seems that it no longer restarts Volumio. I am using the Allo USBridge with Volumio system version 2.348.
After enabling SSH I use Terminal to send the command

and Volumio restarts just fine.

Restart from UI works fine on Sparky, Volumio 2.348 here. Can you try and get some logs?

We use this:
github.com/volumio/Volumio2/blo … fic.js#L27

Probably it does work only with some kernel versions,

Hope it helps. Here is the link to the log file

logs.volumio.org/volumio/6P0euyk.html

Can’t see anything in the log file, and don’t see the reboot command issued. Are you sure that you tried to reboot before sending the log?

Edit: yes there is … see Michelangelo’s post below.

Not sure logs file persist across reboot as /tmp is mapped to RAM.
Can you temporarily hook a HDMI screen so that you can visually monitor live what’s going on, and check difference between manual & UI reboot?

True, but it’s not actually rebooting. I wondered is there was some info in the log just after attempting to reboot.

Yes, there is:

ar 09 22:16:00 volumio sudo[5490]: volumio : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/volumio ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemd reboot
Mar 09 22:16:00 volumio sudo[5490]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by volumio(uid=0)
Mar 09 22:16:00 volumio sudo[5490]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 09 22:16:27 volumio sudo[5809]: volumio : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/volumio ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemd reboot
Mar 09 22:16:27 volumio sudo[5809]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by volumio(uid=0)

In this case, our method of shutdown does not work.
Solution: add a callback to previous shutdown command in the systemctl shutdown command, so in case reboot does not get executed, it will be with the ordnary command

Then what changed since?

What are the particular circumstances differences between @tracer5 and @chsims1 setups and reboot command code?
I’m confused.

Me too really (confused). allo doesn’t provide it’s own images does it?

Hi… I am somewhat confused myself. I have downloaded a fresh image from Volumio for Sparky version 2.348. With no changes from Factory Settings.
Setup: Allo USBridge with Lan connection, HDMI connected, USB 2.0 DAC connected

Observations:

1. ‘Systemctl shutdown’ from Terminal works or from WEB UI
  2. ‘Systemctl reboot’ does not work or from Web UI does not work. What it does is a shutdown.
  3. From the Web UI “Reset to Factory Settings” does a shutdown, not a reboot.

systemctl list-unit-files:
reboot.service masked

I don’t see how ‘Systemctl reboot’ can work with reboot.service masked.

I would love to find the culprit.

Finally I have some good news and a reasonable explanation as to why I have the reboot problem and others may not. It seems to be related to the version build of the Sparky SBC. I have an older board. As best as I can tell these older boards have a bug in the Kernel watchdog driver. A change to /etc/systemd/system.conf is recommended.
The watchdog shutdown timer only applies to reboots, not to powering the system off.

ShutdownWatchdogSec=1

instead of

#ShutdownWatchdogSec=10min

Yes, that fixes the problem!! I can now reboot from the Web UI or Terminal using Systemctl reboot. :smiley: :smiley:

A safety net!

Well done for sorting it out :smiley: