No sound with soekris dam 1021 and Volumio2

Hi All!

Has anyone made positive experience with soekris dam, volumio2 and Pi 3?
I’ve selected soekris dam, saved and restarted- but absolutely no sound can be generated.

Greetingz, Robert

Seems to me, that almost nothing works;-)

Looks good, but I wonder how it sounds.

Still no sound through soekris dac with Pi3.

Greetingz, Robert

I got soekris configs looking at other forums, but since i dont have the real one it was about guessing… Could you please try different overlays and see if it works? Let me know your findings

Hi Michelangelo!

Tried all the I2S- modules but constantly got ‘audio output errors’ for soekris dac.

The modules for Soekris dam are:

snd_soc_pcm1794a
snd_soc_rpi_dac

Tried to save ‘device_tree=’ in …config.txt, then saved the above in …modules-load.d/raspberrypi.conf>>>but no luck- same output errors.
That workaround enabled connection to Soekris-board with Rune or Archphile immediately- but not with Volumio2- ok, the other distros are arch-linux based.
With Moode the Soekris dam is successfully implemented officially- This player works absolutely flawless and sounds awesome. So does Archphile.

Volumio2 has big potential and looks great-

How can I stop database update at every boot? I set auto update to ‘no’ in MPD but seems that it still does some updating.

Also had troubles with getting Pi3’s wlan to run in the beginning- but I will investigate that later after I’ve got a solution for I2S dac.

If Volumio2 then soundwise draws at least equal with Moode or Archphile I will proceed experimenting with it.

Rune Audio is soundwise inferior to the above mentioned players- I know, they are forks- but they WORK- perfectly!

btw: There IS a difference in sound between digital sources and such audio players! I’ve tested and compared it a thousand times.

Concerning audio quality it would also be good to lower cpu- and board activity- in the way just to activate what is really needed.

I’ve seen cpu setting at turbo=1- but this high performance mode is not necessary. I have mpd working in one core and lowered cpu speed with my favorite distro with no issues. Would be good to have such tools for setting one time;-) Board activity creates noise that pollutes audio circuits- the more activity- the more noise.

Greetingz, Robert

Volumio 0.979 does´nt work with RP2 & Soekris DAC either. The DAC does´nt lock in.
Reinhard

Yes I know that the lower activity the better… That’s the whole principle we base volumio on. There are still lot of tweaks I would like to apply, but it will come after we fix the issues. The turbo mode is enabled to basically improve performances on older pi.
Another thing that I want to do is enable cpu affinity on multicore system with MPD.

As for the soekris, I asked them if they could provide a sample to make it work with Volumio, but they replied: we see its already working on other linux distributions so basically copy their settings because for this we won’t get you a sample…

So in order to get this to work, we need a trial and error procedure with your help guys… What really differs from Volumio and the others is that we use the latest mainline kernel…

For Your information, I have Volumio2 and Soekris DAM 1021 connected with Odriod C1+/ C2 over IS2 out and DAC is working with odroiddac driver up to 192KHz PCM. Higher sample rates and DSD are very noisy and volume level is wrong. Maybe it will help you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting, that’s an important clue (for Odroid only…).

What we miss is a piece of info for the pi at this point…

Can anyone say if this has been resolved? I would like to return to using Volumio as I believe it’s better than Rune I currently have to use.

Just flashed Volumio 2 on the RPI3, not good. After some very loud bangs, the lock light stopped flashing and turned off completely. After that all I could hear was a digital pulse around the 10hz range. I tried the Soekris driver and also the generic driver with the same results.

Hi johnyn,
You are using the driver for the Odroid HiFi shield.
Though the driver happens to work with some other i2s boards, there is no guarantee that yours will work and there is nothing I can do to support.
Best to go to the odroid forum and ask (but I fear you will get a similar answer).

Has anyone had any success with the Pi3 volumio 2 and DAM1021 combination? I’ve tried all the drivers again and none work.

My Dam1021 works with the hifiberry/generic driver.
Instead the Soekris driver doesn’t work.

Really?! Can you let me know your set up please inc. versions.

Ive got Pi3 straight to Dam1021 via the Pi’s I2s on the GPIO.

I just loaded the latest image to see if this has been fixed as I noticed the Soekris was mentioned in the change log.
It still gave me a harsh pulse when the DAC was powered on but by turning the WiFi off on the Pi3 it stopped, so this part was a noise issue on the DAC.
The player plays Mp3’s fine and also 96/24bit FLAC but it won’t play 16bit wav or FLAC, the I2S lock light just keeps flashing.
I think once the resampling option has been introduced this should make this DAC 100% compatible.

Same problem here with my PCM1794 based DAC, plays all formats in 24bit and also mp3. But no 16bit. In Volumio1.55 the resampling option made it compatible. Just missing this in Volumio2.

I’m done with Volumio especially when upgrade to Volumio2; seems can’t make anything works anymore…[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have too, I still have to use Rune and that’s even with a work-around to upscale everything to 32 bit.
I still believe when using Volumio the sound is better but I’m not sure how.
Still lurking on here to see when the resampling will be introduced so I can return from the dark side.

I have since move to Daphile; I think it sounded better too compared to Volumio. Next target is SOTM SMS-200…[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey there im on the latest version of volumio 2 and when i try playing 384khz flac the soekris plays it without a problem but when i look at the serial output of the soekris it shows me L192 so only 192khz same with DSD or DoP hmmm any idea?

cheers janosch