Sound quality limitations of Raspberry Pi + I2S DACs

Diy? Low-budget? Esoterics? Let's discuss about DACS!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby skypickle » Fri Dec 30 2016 21:27

phalanger wrote:...
The following graph is telling, comparing the signal phase noise (result of jitter) of various setups. As can be seen, standard i2s solutions on the RPi, even with a low jitter Sabre DAC, perform significantly worse than a basic cd player, while the USB interface shows more potential.

thank you for posting that image but I do not completely understand what the hardware underlies each graph
RPi I2S + ES9023 DAC
BBB I2S + ESS9023
USB-I2S-2+ ESS9023
USB-I2S-1+ESS9023

and what is the difference between USB-I2S-2+ ESS9023 and USB-I2S-1+ESS9023?
Random avatar
skypickle
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Postby allo » Fri Dec 30 2016 22:29

None..they share the same databus
Random avatar
allo
Objectivist
Objectivist

Re: Sound quality limitations of Raspberry Pi + I2S DACs

Postby santanacorreia » Sun Jan 01 2017 16:31

mictester wrote:We're talking £25 devices here guys - they will never match a £10k Linn streamer, but for the small investment it'll sound much much better than a USB DAC and make you smile knowing that you can spend the remainder of the £10k on content, nice wine and holidays.

You're partially right - with a reasonable DAC (not necessarily a laboratory-quality one) and I²S connection, it's indistinguishable fron a £10k Linn with most source material! Anyone who tells you anything else is just deluded (and desperately trying to justify his squandered £9,950!). The limiting issues are the housing of the DAC - it should be screened to prevent the analogue end of it picking up noise - and the power supply - don't dream of using any kind of SMPSU for your DAC!

Just for fun, I recently A - B blind tested a Raspberry Pi / 9023 DAC (homebrew) against a £4k streamer (I won't embarrass the manufacturer) and no audiophile, record producer, engineer or musician who tried the test could tell one from the other. This conclusively proves two things:

1. The manufacturers of high-end, high-priced hi-fi are full of BS and they're just selling a "brand name" rather than anything particularly clever or well-made

2. The Raspberry Pi is a wonderful little device (if a little under-powered in these days of 4GHz processors)!

Hi mictester,

What do you mean exactly by homebrew?
Random avatar
santanacorreia
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby DilanRoster » Wed Jan 11 2017 11:03

I think these limitations can make sound worse, nevertheless, thanks for sharing!
Random avatar
DilanRoster
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby alpuy » Wed Jan 18 2017 14:41

I saw that there were problems with the jitter and the 24 bits that can be solved with an external USB DAC.

Will i have any problem if i use a rpi shield with an optical output and connect it to the optical input of an integrated amplifier (Marantz 6005)? Does the jitter/24 bits problem still occur or as it is all digital, there is no problem?

Thanks
Random avatar
alpuy
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby sangchodecuba » Sun Feb 12 2017 21:54

Well for me any Raspberry Pi I2S DAC sound the same! so I just want to go for a cheap option for the Zero as I want to build a bunch of internet Radio on the cheap.
I've seen this one on on amazon UK 9£ (with tax and shipment) with shipment is it any good? or any cheaper options?

http://www.raspiaudio.com
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-shield-for-Raspberry-PI/dp/B00MDW602K?SubscriptionId=0ENGV10E9K9QDNSJ5C82&tag=&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MDW602K

thanks
Random avatar
sangchodecuba
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Postby michelangelo » Sun Feb 12 2017 22:00

1- The PI indeed can output 24-bit sound via I2S
2- Yes, I2S is a jitter-prone interface. That's why Reclockers such as the Kali are so effective in improving sound quality on Rasperry PI.
michelangelo
Founder

Re: Sound quality limitations of Raspberry Pi + I2S DACs

Postby santanacorreia » Mon Feb 13 2017 13:08

michelangelo wrote:1- The PI indeed can output 24-bit sound via I2S
2- Yes, I2S is a jitter-prone interface. That's why Reclockers such as the Kali are so effective in improving sound quality on Rasperry PI.

Aren t there DACs for the Pi that include a reclocker?
Random avatar
santanacorreia
Sunday DIYer
Sunday DIYer

Postby michelangelo » Mon Feb 13 2017 14:36

No, I2S DACs normally include a clock (which can be of different quality).
Allo is about to release a new DAC that will include a really good clock (a little less precise than Kali, but they are nuances).
Reclockers are meant to be separate devices
michelangelo
Founder

Postby sangchodecuba » Thu Feb 16 2017 05:34

An update, I received yeserday the yellow RaspiAudio dac http://www.raspiaudio.com for my Raspberry Pi Zero, it arrived via Amazon in a small minimalist zip bag.
it is working well, sound is loud and clear (I tested with a flac file), easy install and cheap (I paid 9£ with tax and shipment).
I guess there are more complex Dac out there but if you need cheap and small I can recommand it.
Attachments
IMG-20170216-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20170216-WA0002.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Random avatar
sangchodecuba
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Previous

Return to DACs