Rpi3b+ doesn't survive a reboot with 2.444

Hi there,

I clicked on “upgrade” earlier today, and it hasn’t gone well since then!

I upgraded from 2.443 to 2.444, and after the reboot – nothing: no video output, no networking - no blinky green LED light on the rpi3b+

So, I rebuild.

After rebuilding my configuration, from the command line:
sync
sync
reboot

and here’s the result:
0801181810.jpg

Moving the card over to debian, it seems that the filesystems didn’t have a good time across that reboot:

root@debian:~# fdisk /dev/sdf

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.25.2).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sdf: 30.9 GiB, 33201061888 bytes, 64845824 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x0fb2c738

Device     Boot   Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdf1  *          1   125000   125000   61M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdf2        125001  4882812  4757812  2.3G 83 Linux
/dev/sdf3       4882813 64845703 59962891 28.6G 83 Linux

Command (m for help): q

root@debian:~# fsck -y /dev/sdf2
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
volumio: recovering journal
volumio contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Directory inode 2, block #0, offset 0: directory corrupted
Salvage? yes

Missing '.' in directory inode 2.
Fix? yes

Setting filetype for entry '.' in ??? (2) to 2.
Missing '..' in directory inode 2.
Fix? yes

Setting filetype for entry '..' in ??? (2) to 2.
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
'..' in / (2) is <The NULL inode> (0), should be / (2).
Fix? yes

Unconnected directory inode 11 (/???)
Connect to /lost+found? yes

/lost+found not found.  Create? yes

Pass 3A: Optimizing directories
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Inode 11 ref count is 3, should be 2.  Fix? yes

Unattached inode 12

Inode 12 ref count is 2, should be 1.  Fix? yes

Unattached inode 13

Inode 13 ref count is 2, should be 1.  Fix? yes

Unattached inode 14

Inode 14 ref count is 2, should be 1.  Fix? yes

Unattached inode 15

Inode 15 ref count is 2, should be 1.  Fix? yes

Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Inode bitmap differences:  +(1--15)
Fix? yes

volumio: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
volumio: 16/148960 files (12.5% non-contiguous), 164890/594726 blocks
root@debian:~# fsck -y /dev/sdf3
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
volumio_data: recovering journal
Setting free inodes count to 5575667 (was 5591253)
Setting free blocks count to 7126686 (was 7315865)
volumio_data: clean, 15597/5591264 files, 368675/7495361 blocks
root@debian:~# 

Unfortunately, after this it appears that the 2nd partition has gotten clobbered – most of the files are missing.

root@debian:/media/swinokur/volumio# ls -l
total 74660
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38221312 Dec 31  1969 kernel_current.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38221312 Dec 31  1969 kernel_factory.tar
drwx------ 3 root root     4096 Aug  1 18:11 lost+found
root@debian:/media/swinokur/volumio# 

Maybe this is just a SD card going bad? I’d think if the card was going bad I would see issues during operation versus just across a reboot? However, I ran “badblocks” on the SD card without errors:

root@debian:~# badblocks -vn /dev/sdf
Checking for bad blocks in non-destructive read-write mode
From block 0 to 32422911
Testing with random pattern: Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)
root@debian:~# 

My RPi 3 B+ runs 2.444 just fine. Perhaps, have you try to flash another SD card?

just curious - was yours a new install or an upgrade? If it was an upgrade do you remember what version you had before you upgraded?

thanks!

I have the same problem.
the moment I have to reboot at the first set-up it does not start anymore … I also tried a new 16gb sd card but here also the same problem.
the power supplies have enough voltage and ampere.
when using the image myvolumio, the problem is not present and it all works perfectly, even with picoreplayer / rune audio /moode audio, the problem is not present.
i use raspberry pi 3b + allo isolator + kali reclocker + officially 7 inch touchscreen.

I flashed 2.413 then upgraded (using WebUI) to 2.444.

the same for me volumio did not survive the update either.
then decided to flash the latest version volumio image but it also did not start after restart.
I then tried the new myvolumio image and it does start, also restarting.

What exactly is going wrong, I do not know I flash it no different than I normally do.

What exactly did you mean with “rebuild the configuration” in your OP?
Was there a reason for it?

Hi there,
I was originally upgrading from 2.443 (if i remember right) to 2.444.

As I mentioned, after the reboot the SD card filesystems appeared corrupted (as shown by the screen shot). Even after manually fsck’ing the two ext4 partitions in debian there was data loss.

So, to recover I reflashed from a downloaded full install of 2.444.

I booted that full install, and re-did the configuration (plugins, playlists, etc) on the new full install and then rebooted.

This exhibited the same issue as the upgrade.

I also re-flashed again, only made networking changes (did not install any plugins) and rebooted. The same issue persisted.

I have ordered a new SDXC card which should arrive sometime tomorrow and I will test again.

thanks!

Hi there,

My new SDHC card arrived this morning.

After testing the card to be sure it wasn’t counterfeit, I flashed 2.444 to it.

I’ve done my configuration and rebooted the system a few times and so far everything is again working properly.

I’ve sure never had a SD card fail in this manner, where data appears to be good, reads and writes are successful, badblocks tests properly – and yet the filesystems get corrupted. Time to RMA a SD card I guess!

Glad you solved it, have fun!

have a question, why does it work with the new image myvolumio and the normal volumio image does not work on the same sd card.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nokia 6.1 met Tapatalk

my expertise is not PI3 and I don’t have one to test with, but an initial boot with showing “uname -a” might give a clue whether these versions have been built with the same platform environment. Could be that myVolumio is based on an earlier one one and we ow have regression. The responsible devs are out on holiday, so hold on for 2-3 weeks.

okay then I wait until the dev’s are back or after an update and in the meantime I continue with the myvolumio image.

goed idee,
groeten - Gé

I have the same or at least a similar problem and justed posted this in the thread “Can’t start up Volumio on my Rapsberry PI 3B” https://volumio.org/forum/can-start-volumio-rapsberry-t10466.html:

I experienced the same problem after updating from 2.413: The requested reboot did not succeed, the screen (original Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen) remained black. After un-/replugging the power supply the message shown in the OP appeared.

I decided to start from the get-go, downloaded the 2.444 image, checked the md5 sum and flashed it to the sd card. Volumio started. I let the it settle for more than 10 minutes and then did a basic configuration via the hotspot connection. I did not install any plugins. To be on the safe side I waited again for more than 10 minutes before rebooting. Result: black screen again :frowning:

I cut the power, powered on again: black sreen. “Inspired” by Guy’s post above (https://volumio.org/forum/can-start-volumio-rapsberry-t10466-10.html#p52442) I did not gave up and repeated this twice again - and then Volumio booted… as if nothing had happened. But as soon as I try to start Volumio after shutting down or to reboot the issue reoccurs. I have to physically un-/replug the power repeatedly before Volumio starts up.

I reinstalled Volumio 2.413 and it boots/reboots without problems. So I guess the sd card is not the culprit. There are also no signs of the power supply to be not sufficient. For lack of time I did not try the beta version 2.445 yet.

System: Pi 3B, Hifiberry DAC Plus, RemotePi, Raspberry original 7" touchscreen

aarrg ik zie het nu pas…Nederlands sprekend vanuit Zwitserland :smiley:

OK, holidays are finished nearly, we’ll have a look at it adap.

Can you guys please try this release and report back ?

updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

PS: You can also use the OTA Updater, by enabling test mode.

Let me know, in case it does not work also the exact configuration of sw\hardware you’re running

2.449 seems to solve the issue for me. :smiley:

After flashing the 2.448 image linked above the requested reboot failed (black screen). But on the next attempt to start Volumio booted successfully. Up to then I had not configured my DAC (Hifiberry DAC Plus) but left the Raspi’s audio jack as output. I also had no plugins installed.

After booting 2.448 I updated to 2.449 using the OTA updater. First reboot already worked and I did several reboots for testing purposes. As that went well, too, I changed the output to my DAC - again no issues.

Now I am installing plugins as needed little by little. For the moment I have installed the touch display plugin only. I will be further testing and installing my remotepi and minidlna plugins. I will report back should I encounter issues with any of the plugins.

Many thanks michelangelo!

System: Pi 3B, Hifiberry DAC Plus, RemotePi, Raspberry original 7" touchscreen

after updating to version 2.449 no more problems with starting up.

thanks.