RPi 3 + Allo Boss DAC

Hi all, I am rookie of DAC and would like to build my first DAC with purchased Raspberry Pi 3 with small size / lower power consumption.
I have read all pages from another post of Boss DAC and appreciate all people contributions.

This post may too long but I would like get comments from all of you before buy the Allo Boss.
Like many people, I have over hundred of CDs and in progressing rip into FLAC format (16bit / 44.1) and put into my Synology NAS as CAS. I have tried to use iPad mini Synology apps to streaming rip CD music via Apple TV 2 (Airplay) optical output + toslink to RCA converter to connect my tube amplifier --> Pro 1SC speaker. Surely, the sound quality is not good, compare with my Cambridge CD player (Azur 640C). But CAS can bring convenience to me.

So, small size / lower power consumption is my first consideration. I know there are some existing music streaming DAC like Teac UT-503 / Pioneer N70A with brilliant functions but the size is too big and over budget. Thus, I would like to build my DAC with RPi 3.

My questions are:-
Q1. RPi 3 + Boss DAC RCA output with enough power for my tube amp?
Q2. Can I keep to use Synology apps to streaming my music via Volumio Airplay?
Q3. What is the sound quality compare with Volumio playback vs Q2 approach?
Q4. I am using old 2G micro SD card to write Volumio player. Any speed performance different if change to SDHC? My RPi 3 is using wifi and Volumio apps looks very lack.

Thanks, Stanley

Q1. RPi 3 + Boss DAC RCA output with enough power for my tube amp?
Yes. It outputs 2.1v which is enough.

Q2. Can I keep to use Synology apps to streaming my music via Volumio Airplay?
Dunno.

Q3. What is the sound quality compare with Volumio playback vs Q2 approach? Dunno. Its like asking how long is a piece of string.

Q4. I am using old 2G micro SD card to write Volumio player. Any speed performance different if change to SDHC? My RPi 3 is using wifi and Volumio apps looks very lack. Yes. Faster card will improve i/o performance. Dont go crazy with the SDHC, class 10 will suffice.

Thanks Shogo33

Collected Allo Boss this morning.
Hope can give me surprise after testing.
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-14 at 12.29.51.jpeg

Good Stuff Stanley. I think you will be happy with it. IMO, using a 5v battery to power the Rpi3 made a difference over a standard 5v switching psu. I’m waiting for the isolator hat to be released soon, as this will better isolate the Boss over the Rpi. Before you listen, do run it in a bit, the supercap needs around 50hours to break in. It will start to sound better after 25 hours. When I got mine, I plugged it in and ran a whole album on repeat for 2 days. When I switched on my system after 10 hours it sounded closed in and dull. It opened up after around 25hours or so,

Hi Shogo33, thanks for your advices. I am using the normal 5V 2.4A wall charger with micro USB power only. Is it big different with external power connect to Boss?
Just try to listen my few favour songs and it is really impress me. But… compare with same song played with my CD player, I found some details are missing like the vocal with the feel not “clear” (compare with CD). Overall performance is very good because “convenience” is my no.1 priority because can avoid to change CD frequently. I love the Boss so much and can save my money.
Next, I may think about how to improve my Boss to beat my CD player (Cambridge Azur 640C). It may NOT a fair deal but I enjoy the DIY process which can learn a lot.
Boss with Tube AMP.jpg

Boss will improve a lot in the next 50h (continuously playing music) once supercap and film capacitors will be “broken in”

Q2: Works, but worse sound quality. If I’ve understand correctly, airplay will transcode flac to mp3 while streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airplay streams apple lossless format, not mp3. Technically you shouldn’t hear any difference. Unfortunatley my experiences are the same. Airplay from iphone is worse then other streaming options like upnp.

If you can install minimserver to the synology, do it. You can control it via Linn Kazoo on iOS. Of course Linn Kazoo can control any other upnp server.

I would recommend to stream using volumio’s native interface. Works fine with flac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. I have same feeling of Airplay from iPhone is worse than Volumio native.

I am doing the run in now, and hope there is improvement after 50 hours later.

Keep us updated.

There are some improvements after 60 hours run in, the resolution / dynamic sounds better. I would said “blur” in start beginning.

What is the theory / behavior to run in the supercap to achieve the improvement?

My comment is the Boss can achieve 80% of my CD player, but the comparison may not fair because different type of system. But the convenience brings another 20 marks, so my ultimate score is 100 marks.
I would highly recommend people try to use Pi 3 + Boss with limited budget or spacing issue. My CD player can retire now.

There are 2 things that improve with time…one happens in supercap (it takes 2 weeks to reach full sound) and second in the fim capacitors (it takes at least 50h of burn in)

It has to do with the dielectric of those 2 , and its a phenomenon discussed in many hi end audio devices.

Hello,

Im new on this forum.
My thin client Igel die and now I wonna buy somethink like this pi3 + Boss DAC.
I reed almost everythink about this combination but one think i dont know.
If I buy this combo: volumio.org/product/allo-boss-player/
I cant put Allo insolator in this case right?

regards,
Simon

Anyone?

I dont think there is space enough, do you mean 3 hat inside the box?

yes, pi3+isolator+boss

RPi + Isolator + Boss? Not in that case, the HATs take up too much space…