Reclocker (i2s ps jitter)

Hi ,

in the past few months we have worked very hard on a new shield for RPIs/SBCs.

Basically the main idea belongs to Ian’s. His hardware is actually superior to ours , mostly in the way he implemented the clocks and to the attention of the detail (like mounting xtals on a pcb supported by elastics ). So we credit Ian’s idea and his great design.

Our hardware/soft is not a copy , its an implementation of the same idea. We use a FPGA and sram to buffer the DATA and we reclock bclk/mclk outside the FPGA using NDK (or Crystek) . The board has an eprom but its not HAT complaint (because of the space). FCC will be available for the board.

Main reason for making the board was to try to correct the audio clocks of SBCs and bring high quality audio to anyone that has an SBC around…for a great price.

Please let me know your thoughts on this…

You made me curious!

Great!
you can take a closer look at this brochure here:
allo.com/marketing/brochures … ochure.pdf

let me know if you have any other questions.

hi let me know if you have any other questions…
thanks

I’m listening in this moment at this new solution (Kali reclocker + Piano DAC on RPI3) and I’m literally blown away…
Never heard this amount of details, flowing naturally. Not to mention the stereo image…
Guys, THIS IS A GAMECHANGER… I mean it…

Good news is, we’ll have it soon on our shop…

Are you running volumio on it or their dist ?

No, just regular PI3 volumio… You can attach the Kali Reclocker on the PI and then the Piano on TOP. Rembember to move the little switch on the Piano to “Pi Compatibility” position

Thanks for the tip! I struggle to configure the WiFi with their system… And I wanted to do this (with A RPI)

Let me know how it sounds… Try it on your main system… I am just stunned… tell me I’m not mad hehee

Glad to see that you’re as excited as we are about this!

In my current Volumio setup I am using a Hifiberry Digi+ to feed my external DAC using a coaxial SPDIF signal.

I assume that my DAC (as most external DACs) uses the spdif signal for its clock signal. Is that correct?

And if so, could there be a benefit in adding your reclocker in between to improve the DAC input signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Patrick,

please help me understand better
so you have the hifiberry digi+ taking the signal from your RPI (i assume) and sending it SPDIF to your DAC (what kind of DAC is it?).
you want to know if you can put a KALI between the hifiberry and your dac ?

please let me know what DAC you are using.

thanks

Indeed the Hifiberry Digi+ gets its i2s signal from an RPi B+ at the moment. It is a HAT board but the idea is indeed placing the KALI between the RPi and the Digi+ if that makes sense.

The DAC I am using is an Audio-GD nfb-11, see http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm (see also my signature, but I guess you don’t see signatures when using something like Tapatalk :slight_smile: ). I feed it through the RCA Coaxial SPDIF input.

Feeding it via USB is also an option but the Pi is very bad in providing a clean/proper USB signal for audio. But in theory USB could be preferred as if the DAC’s USB input would be in ‘master’ mode (and not ‘slave’ to the USB signal coming from the Pi) there would be no need to do re-clocking as the clocking could be done by the DAC (assuming it is also capable of generating a proper clock signal by itself).

Does this info help? Am I correct in assuming that most DAC’s generate their clock signal based on the incoming SPDIF signal (when SPDIF is the used input method)?

Patrick,
i am not sure what power digi+ takes…
if 5V then it should be OK.

I would encourage you to use the RPI with the KALI and our DAC to test the difference with your current set up.

I’m interested in Kali/DAC. Are there any European resellers? Is it for PI 2 or also for the PI 3?

RPI3 OK.
EU resellers will be up soon.
In the meantime, our site is up.
allo.com/sparky/bundle-kali-piano-2-1.html

It will be soon on our shop… :wink:

The Digi+ is a HAT board that takes its (5v) power directly from the GPIO pins.

Would the KALI power both the RPi and any HAT board on top?

I understand what you are saying but as the KALI board is an independent board, I would assume it is ment for use with any HAT board that would benefit from an improved clock signal coming from the GPIO pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick,

Answer is yes absolutely.

Are you planning on making ‘closed’ cases for the kali/piano setup too? :slight_smile: