RC2 Volume Options: No Mixer available

Hi,

thank you for the newest Volumio 2 Build. I’m verry happy about the new design
and fluid performance, even with my old Raspberry Model B (with Hifiberry DAC).
Trying out RC1 and RC 2 I’ve discovered this odd problem: my Raspberry plays my music, but I can’t control the volume.
It is always up to 100, even if the display shows other values.

Why? Well, jumping to the playback options I can’t pick any options for the mixer control.
There is no option available, as to see from the added screenshots.

Is there any problem with my older hardware? Using Volumio 1 everything worked fine.
Since I’d still like to use my existing combo and don’t spend money on a new one,
I would really appreciate any help.

If there is anything I can do to help finding a solution, please, let me know!

Am I the only one affected by this bug? :confused:
playback options while clicking onto mixer control.png

Updated my post and added a screenshot.

I just setup my RPi 2 with a Hifiberry AMP+ using Volumio 2 (downloaded yesterday, July 14, 2016), and I have the same issue-- no volume control. Is there a solution?

Yes, this is a bug… I plan to solve it really soon… Thanks for the report guys

Well, I did some investigation and tried to fix it myself.
I failed :laughing:

Now I am really interested in how you are going to fix it.
Opened and changed the mpd.conf, I have added the mixer_type option and set it to “software”.
But this did not have any effect.

Thank you in advance for your kind programming :wink:

As far as I remember, this bug already existed in RC1.
I did already inform you, @michelangelo, some months ago and your reply was,
that you were going to fix it within days.

Hoping that this time your saying is true. :neutral_face:

Personally, I enjoy the walk over the amplifier to turn it up a bit more :wink:

Hey,

I have the same problem using an USB Sound Card. Volume is not affected by changing volume in the UI (feels like 100% all the time). In “Volume Options” I only have PCM available and can’t select something else. It used to work with Volumio 1. Would be really glad to have a fix soon if this is a bug. I love the new responsive design, keep up the great work!

Same issue here with RPi 2 and Pimoroni Phat DAC. Volume stuck at full even when adjusting and no options under mixer. Any ETA on the fix? Great software, I’m anxious to get this running! Thanks!

OK, got volume control working with the help of this topic here:

https://volumio.org/forum/volume-control-issues-volumio1-rpi-zero-dac-phat-t4319.html

For my setup I didn’t run the Pimoroni installation part so I still had two output devices. I had to replace references to hw card 0 to 1

I had to replace this part of /etc/mpd.conf

audio_output { type "alsa" name "alsa" device "hw:1,0" dop "yes" }
With this:

audio_output { type "alsa" name "Output" device "softvol" mixer_control "Master" dop "no"

And I had to create the file:
nano /etc/asound.conf

[code]#pcm.!default {

type hw card 0

#}
#ctl.!default {

type hw card 0

#}
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm “softvol”
}

pcm.softvol {
type softvol
slave {
pcm “plughw:1”
}
control {
name “Master”
card 1
}
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}
[/code]

Big thanks to OP of the other topic MZP!

I now have working volume :slight_smile:

Another problem sprung up but I’m not sure it is related.

I installed the Spotify plugin after getting the volume control working but the volume control wasn’t working just for this plugin.

Digging into it I found in spop.conf (I think, I don’t have access to the pi right now) that the output_name was set to hw:0

Changed this to softvol and rebooted. Everything is working great… Until the next day when it won’t connect to Spotify. I checked the credentials in the configuration and hit save. The output_name then switched back to hw:0.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m digging into the source for the plugin and there is a file spop.conf.tmpl where this is hardcoded with ‘hw:’ here:

[code]try {

fs.readFile(__dirname + "/spop.conf.tmpl", 'utf8', function (err, data) {
		if (err) {
			defer.reject(new Error(err));
			return console.log(err);
		}
		var outdev = self.commandRouter.sharedVars.get('alsa.outputdevice');
		var hwdev = 'hw:' + outdev;
		var  bitrate = self.config.get('bitrate');
		var bitratevalue = 'true';
		if (bitrate == false ) {
			bitratevalue = 'false';
		}[/code]

I’m stuck here… Anyone know where ‘alsa.outputdevice’ comes from? Not sure that it comes from alsa, google doesn’t turn up much with that exact name - alsa.outputdevice

Seems like from previous comments in this thread that this may be dead…

Thanks - Steve

Oh, one more bug… Volume control doesn’t come up at the startup value in the settings, just starts at 100%. Guessing these are related.

I am also struggling with no volume change - thank you a lot, unfortunately I dont get this running. Maybe it is “plughw:1” which I have to adjust?
Here’s my “aplay -l” output:

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA] Subdevices: 8/8 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3 Subdevice #4: subdevice #4 Subdevice #5: subdevice #5 Subdevice #6: subdevice #6 Subdevice #7: subdevice #7 card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 5: DAC [USB Audio DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Here’s my “aplay -L” output:

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) default softvol sysdefault:CARD=ALSA bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Default Audio Device dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct sample mixing device dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct sample mixing device dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct sample snooping device dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct sample snooping device hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct hardware device without any conversions hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Hardware device with all software conversions plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Hardware device with all software conversions sysdefault:CARD=DAC USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Default Audio Device front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Front speakers surround21:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output dmix:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Direct sample mixing device dsnoop:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Direct sample snooping device hw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 USB Audio DAC, USB Audio Hardware device with all software conversions
… the last one seems to be the most promising for me.

Would be great if somebody could give me some advice.

Thank you very much!

I’ve the exact same problem. I’m using a Raspberry pi zero with phat dac running volumio 2.041, my volume doesnt work either. I’ve tried some of your solutions without luck

Did some of you find an answer?

Have you or sombody a solution for the problem?

Please start a new thread if this is still a problem please. It is a very old topic.