[Solved] pulseaudio network sink?

How do I install pulseaudio on volumio, such that I can use the pi as a network sink?

I’ve tried simply installing the pulseaudio package, setting it to run system-wide, and
loading the rtp-recv module, but this doesn’t seem to work. What’s more, mpd doesn’t
run anymore, and I can’t access volumio.local (it won’t load anymore).

I could try to set mpd to use pulseaudio, but it seems the config file would get overwritten.
Is this true?

Sorry no pulse as of now, but I’m integrating in next release, to allow synced multiroom…

Still no pulseaudio? That would be a great feature allowing to open rtp stream from linux, so playing real time audio from my laptop, that would be a dream.

Now i’m using my android phone to open the rtp stream published from pulseaudio, from my laptop.
I’m using mxplayer on my android to open the stream published by pulseaudio. I’m using pactl list source-outputs linux command to show the published stream details.

Great work with volumio, keep it up guys!

Would be great to have a pulseaudio RTP sink integrated. Currently I’m switching SD cards between Volumio and a Raspbian install with RTP PA sink installed, as Volumio’s Shairport and Pulseaudio-raop does not work (there seems to be a fix, but as always it might take a year or 2 before it’s in the mainline :cry:)
Having a PA sink would be a great alternative :slight_smile:

hi all

for sure, pulseaudio is usefull in two or even more uses
the use that I need
is to be a source to another network sink which will be the computer connected to a very very good audio speakers
these very very good speakers will be the speakers for the volumio (pi), for the TV, for even a VoIP phone
I thought that in the settings I would find like ALSA,
I would find PULSE AUDIO
and when PULSEAUDIO is used, to find the possibility to configure the server, that could be the “localhost” or another address in the LAN

thanks for this kind of threads
meaning that people master “complicated” things
I am dealing with audio for more than a month, from a subject to another
volumio, VoIP, asterisk, icecast, synchronisation, pulseaudio, … :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I managed to get it to work on a Pi B+ following this tutorial https://rootprompt.apatsch.net/2013/02/20/raspberry-pi-network-audio-player-pulseaudio-dlna-and-bluetooth-a2dp-part-1-pulseaudio/, just remove the ‘–log-target=syslog’ part in the command to put in /etc/rc.local

I also got the bluetooth working from the part 3 of the same tutorial (Part 2 is about dlna so useless on volumio)

My HTPC (Debian/Kodi) and desktop (elementaryOS) connects well to pulseaudio on volumio, and my phone on bluetooth. My laptop doesn’t work with pulseaudio nor bluetooth but I think it’s an Arch problem, and not my biggest issue at the moment.

My issue is that sound quality is way poorer when playing from those devices (especially with bass) compared to when I play directly from volumio.

Any idea on why is that and how I can improve this ? fwi I’m not using any DAC for now, I plan to add it later when I get everything working as expected.

Adding ‘tsched=0’ to the ‘load-module module-udev-detect’ line in /etc/pulse/default.pa seems to do the trick ! :smiley: