Physical Power On/Off switch implementation

Dear All,

Is it possible to implement natively the On/Off power function in Volumio?

As per my humble IT opinion, some script must run in background and wait for the shutdown command.
This could be part of a separate plug-in and would add a considerable value to Volumio.
This could be the bridge into the field of non-DIY devices, usable by anyone.

Here are some links:
uk.pi-supply.com/products/pi-su … wer-switch
raspi.tv/2013/pi-supply-atx-styl … -pi-review

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
Adrian

I have one of those kits on order to try. From my reading, the software implementation appears trivial (not even necessary to produce a plugin).

1 Like

Maybe also also a look at the RemotePi board (https://www.msldigital.com/collections/all-products). Aside from a power knob it features an IR receiver, too. I am using it myself and have written a plugin for it (volumio-plugins-collection-t6251-30.html#p45865).

1 Like

My kit has arrived today … I’ll let you know how I get on :slight_smile:

What is the Debian command line, invoked by a hardware action, that should be used for an immediate shutdown and power off no matter what Volumio is doing?

Well, the shutdown command should be

sudo shutdown -h now

As for tying it to a hardware action, you’d need a script (Python or similar) that monitors a hardware pin connected to the shutdown/reset button. Take a look here to see how the PiSupply switch does it.

OK that is the command I have been using. I just wanted to know if there was a more elegant method that wouldn’t damage open files and flush memory properly.

Thanks.

BTW the hardware is a simple USB device that also provides volume control thru software. No soldering needed.