PCM 5102 DAC.

I am having trouble getting a cheap eBay Chinese i2s DAC to work. (I’m uncertain how to include the link but it is EBay item number 191915532458 - the one with BCK and DATA markings reversed).

My other Chinese dacs have worked with the generic i2s profile.
Has anyone any experience?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi, Old Duffer

I use a DAC that is very similar to your DAC.

I use the connections as written on DAC. The following images may work for you.

Good luck with.

Surhay

20180212_021534_HDR.jpg

raspberrypi_B_plus_i2s_2.png

PCM5102-DAC-Rasp.png

Hi Old Duffer,

Look at the photo, Ajiba has posted. BCK and DATA pins are not reversed.
I also have some of these - also with NOT reversed BCK and DATA Pins.
So check that out comparing Ajiba’s photo with the DAC you bought.

These DACs work with the “HifiBerry” setting in Volumio for me.
Take note that PCM5102 based DACs do NOT have a hardware volume control.

• Josef

Also,
At my DAC I’m using
The output letters “R” and “L” indicate the correct channels.

RCA socket colors are inverted. The right channel is “White” RCA. Left channel “Red” RCA.

Hi Ajiba,

Thank you.

I just checked one of mine with a test file (the one that is included in the MoOde distribution). Same at me - Red and White are inverted.

A bit off topic,
but just another information about the also available cheap ES9023 DAC similar to this one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/DAC-Sabre-ES9023-Analog-I2S-24-Bit-192-KHz-Decoder-Board-For-Raspberry-Pi/282844611731?hash=item41dada4493:g:qNMAAOSwuQxagHZw
The + cable is BLACK and the - cable is RED - (or may be - be sure to check)

On another cheap (HAT) DAC i bought on Ebay (PIFI-DAC 2.0) - similar to this one…:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/DAC-HIFI-DAC-Audio-Sound-Card-Module-I2S-interface-fur-Raspberry-pi-3-2-B-B/152712121577?hash=item238e5a0ce9:g:n~QAAOSwuLFZw7zZ
…there was a 100nF Condenser missing, which led to bad sound quality- but could be easily fixed by soldering one in…
I own about 10 of these and this was only at 1 of them.
It is based on a PCM5122 DAC chip, which has hardware volume control, and i like it for the price.
( I didn’t see success at any forum member to get the IR receiver working with the current version of the IR plugin - even if changing the GPIO port number to 26 in the plugin’s config file, so far.)

I never had such issues with the more expensive “real” brands like Allo, Mambo, HifiBerry or even Suptronics. So i think you have to be very careful with the cheap ones - there seems to be no or at least very poor quality control in the production process.

• Josef

Hi Josef

When I saw it on the circuit board, I tested it with the same file.

Happy if I helped you.

I agree with what you say about cheap products.

Surhay