Output signal from tinker board Volumio

I have a tinker board installed with the latest Volumio, I have several question here:

1. I connected it to my av amp via HDMI, so is it decoded in Volumio, tinker board or the av amp? If it’s decoded from the av amp, why it’s sounds totally different from my CD player as digital source (the CD player analog out is broken, so I used the optical out). I am playing Flac and wav files.

2. if it’s decoded in the amp and the sound is very different, then is a spdif out recommended then? Or a HDMI dac?

3. the Volumio stop sending signals after a few minutes playing, it still plays in the web Ui, but the av amp shows no incoming signal, NAS, Pendrive or even web radio it will not play! It will not resume until I switch off the main plug, not even software reboot. Tried factory reset, change cable and change ports still the same.

Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance!

Hello there,

1. I believe it is decoded on the AV receiver but due to the noise/jitter from the tinker board, it sounds different from the CD player. Most probably the CD player has a cleaner transport path to the AV reciever, less jitter/noise.
    You can always buy a HifiBerry DiGi+ Pro (I think it works with TinkerBoard) and see if any difference is made.

2. As for the problem you have with the music stop playing I have no clue.

Thank you
George

HIFIBerry DiGi+ Pro: hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h … -digi-pro/

Thanks For the suggestion George, is the hifiberry just plug and play like pi system? I am using a tinker board FYI.

You probably want to check if the AV receiver is adding extra effects to the signal from the Volumio player. This would be a setting on the receiver.
Technically the HDMI digital signal should be similar to what comes from your cd player if you play the same lossless track. Jitter could mess it up, but I would start validating if the settings are similar on the receiver.

On the Tinkerboard you could use the coaxial S/PDIF out. You would need to solder in an RCA header. It works great on my Tinkerboard and AV receiver. Sound quality is just a perfect as any other source. https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/thread-893.html