[PLUGIN] Onkyo Controller

Onkyo Controller

A simple plugin that is able to turn an Onkyo receiver on the network on and off when playback begins and ends using eISCP.

Features:

• Automatically or manually detect compatible Onkyo receivers on the network .
  • Send a power on or power off command to an Onkyo receiver when Volumio playback begins or ends.
  • Set the volume on the receiver to a set value when Volumio playback begins.
  • Set the receiver channel on playback beginning.
  • Delay the power off command to the receiver (to allow for pausing music without shutting down).

Platform: Raspberry Pi; tested on 2 and Zero W. It should be platform agnostic though.

Tested with an Onkyo CR-N755 receiver, but should be fine with any receiver that can use the Onkyo remote app.

Installable through volumio plugins menu, or see Github for manual installation.

Author: Orderoftheflame

Github project : github.com/orderoftheflame/volu ā€¦ yo_control

Just some information for anyone interested.

I started this plugin ages ago when Spotify support was dropped from my Onkyo amp.

I wanted to keep using my amp and spotify, so I got a Raspberry Pi Zero W and IQaudio DAC, and installed volumio and volspotconnect2. This worked perfectly, but I now had to use a variety of apps to turn on the amp and control the music. The idea behind this was to automate the control of the amp, based on the change of state within volumio.

I recently went back to working on it and got it stable with all the base features I wanted from it. So I figured Iā€™d share it here for anyone else with an Onkyo Amp to use. There are some other features I may look to add in the future, such as automatically switching to the correct input channel, but at the moment itā€™s not something I need personally.

Iā€™ve created a pull request for the main plugin repo, so hopefully anyone else that might find it useful can use it. :slight_smile:

github.com/volumio/volumio-plugins/pull/214

This is my first plugin, so Iā€™m more than happy with any feedback. :slight_smile:

Well done for the plugin. Iā€™ve added it to the list volumio-plugins-collection-t6251.html.

Your link to the zip file wants altering though ā€¦ it gives a 404 error.

Thanks! :slight_smile: I missed that the zip has been removed now.

Iā€™ve removed the link as itā€™s installable through the UI since being merged in. Iā€™ll update my readme for anyone that wants to install from source to allow that.

Unfortunately my Onkyo is too old, but nice work! :wink:

Am I correct in saying that youā€™re not installing any packages? If so, you might want to comment out the apt-get update/install part in install.sh, since itā€™s not doing anything. This will speed up installation.

Thatā€™s a great point. Thanks very much for the advice. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve noticed a few things I want to clean up since my pull request was accepted (mostly in documentation). So Iā€™m going to tidy all of that up before submitting it again.

Works fine with mine TX-NR676E, would be a nice feature if you can control default source, now it starts with the last used source

1 Like

Thanks for testing. :slight_smile:

Setting the input source is definitely next on my list of things to do. Unfortunately my development time is a bit sparse at the moment. I will be looking into it when I get a chance though.

2 Likes

I found a bit of time this evening to take a look at this, and itā€™s come together reasonably easily. You can now pick from a list of sources in settings and itā€™ll set the receiver to it at the same time it sets the volume.

Unfortunately, the list of available channels isnā€™t specific to the receiver itā€™s connected to annoyingly, itā€™s a list of all the channels that the eISCP library that Iā€™m using is aware of, which Iā€™m not sure is up to date. Iā€™ve had to fork the library to add in the channels on my receiver manually. Hopefully most of the ones that people would use are listed though, but at least it is possible to add new ones.

If you wanted to try it out, thereā€™s instructions for installing manually on the github page linked in the first post of this thread.

Or, Iā€™ve created a pull request for the main plugins repository, and hopefully itā€™ll be accepted soon. :slight_smile:

github.com/volumio/volumio-plugins/pull/224

1 Like

The pull request was accepted. So this should be available without manually installing through SSH now. :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Works fine

God damn it , itā€™s nice to be surrounded by gifted people!

1 Like

Ha, I wouldnā€™t go that far!

Iā€™m just glad someone else can get some use out of it. :slight_smile:

Sorry if I embarrassed You :laughing:
but maybe can we also give them other developers some credit of my statement :wink:
The whole Volumio project is totally amazing :smiley:

Ha, not at all. And I can definitely agree that Volumio is amazing!

Hey there,
I added an ā€˜issueā€™ in github, but Iā€™ll post here as well. (github.com/volumio/volumio-plugins/issues/247)

My Integra/Onkyo receiver is several years old. It is controllable via eiscp, but clearly is a bit different than perhaps some of the other models out there.

• it doesnā€™t support auto-discovery
  • it needs the ā€œmodelā€ string in connectionOptions:
    Without the ā€œmodelā€ string, eiscp tries to discover the receiver type, and since this receiver doesnā€™t support auto-discovery eiscp never finishes connecting and so no commands are successful.

This allows the plugin to work:

/data/plugins/miscellanea/onkyo_control/index.js:

socket.on('pushState', function (state) {
        if (self.running) {
            var connectionOptions = {
                reconnect: false,
                send_delay: 5000,
                verify_commands: false,
                model: "DTC-9.8"
            };

Could ā€œmodelā€ be added to the GUI? If a user is manually specifying the IP address (i.e. no auto-discovery) they probably need to manually specify the model as well.

thanks!

Thanks, works perfect with Onkyoā€™s CR-N765!

Hi Swinokur. Iā€™ve been a bit out of the world lately, so missed this. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll try to take a look at it when I get a chance.

Thanks! Glad to hear it. :slight_smile:

Hi Swinokur,

Iā€™ve raised a pull request on github, so hopefully it will be available to update within the UI shortly. Otherwise you can install manually from my fork:

github.com/orderoftheflame/volu ā€¦ yo_control

Iā€™ve checked that it doesnā€™t break for me, but as I donā€™t have the same receiver as you, I canā€™t be sure it fixes the problem for certain. Let me know if you get a chance to test it please. :slight_smile:

Awesome plugin!!

Any idea for the correct verbiage for my receiver? I have an Onkyo TX-8050 - Thanks!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by verbiage?

Iā€™m not sure of the age of the TX-8050 though if you can turn it on with Onkyo app, Iā€™d expect it to work okay. Unfortunately Iā€™ve only been able to test on my CR-N755, but Iā€™m happy to look into any problems youā€™ve got. :slight_smile: