Newbie looking for advice

Hello everybody,

I’m new with volumio. I discovered it yesterday. For now I installed Volumio on a Raspberry 2 .
I tryed web radios, and my music by network share.

When all will be configured i’m gonna add a wifi dongle. Is there a compatibitiy list?

I plan to collect speakers from old loud speakers that I no longer use.
I saw that I should add an additional card to my raspberry to play the role of amplifier. how can i choose it? (knowing that speakers will be connected by two twisted wires each.)

Thanks for your futur help. and sorry for my bad english
sorry if I was wrong category to post

William

Hi William,

There is a compatibility list here, but it is getting a bit out of date now. The RTL8188CUS chipset and the Edimax dongles seems to be widely used (& are supported).

Everyone will have their own favourite here, but I suggest that you do a search on Google for amplifier hats for the RPi. I have used the Iqaudio amp hats previously without complaint, for example.

Hi, chsims1 and thanks for your answer.

Perfect for the compatibility list. i will try with a tp Link WN823N

about amplifier hat, i found this https://www.kubii.fr/audio/1886-carte-audio-justboom-amp-zero-phat-pour-pi-zero-kubii-3272496007383.html
I know it’s designed for pi zero but have you an opinion about this product.

thanks

Justboom and Volumio; have a look at volumio-and-justboom-are-working-together-t6635.html

Hello and thanks chrisrm9208,

I looked justboom website. But i’m wondering if JustBoom Amp Zero pHAT for the Raspberry Pi Zero is compatible with my Pi2B.

Because the pi"normal" version is much expensive.
If anyone know.

Thanks

Compatible, yes, but it’s only an amp. The full size HAT also has a DAC on it, something the Zero doesn’t. Without a DAC in the equation, you’d end up with perfectly amplified silence (or more likely, circuit noise…). If you already have a DAC HAT, then the Zero amp might well work but it depends on a lot of things… Simple is more expensive, but better… Also have a look at IQAudio’s Pi-DigiAMP+; their customer service is excellent (iqaudio.co.uk/hats/9-pi-digiamp.html).

1 Like

Not quite. Like the IQAudIO PiDigiAMP+, it uses the TI TAS5756M chip, which is a digital amplifier, in that the DAC is ‘incorporated’ in the amp. So, no additional DAC is required on the Justboom amp.

Given the price difference, it would appear that the IQAudIO board uses better components, and uses it’s bigger size to good effect on the circuitry.

I have the IQAudIO amp, and it is very good indeed.

Hi,

I use this USB WiFi adapter: smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B007 … UTF8&psc=1
It works very good and the antenna can be replaced by a better one.

It works with one of Volumio stacks, build with a RaspberryPi 2. It works also with other Linux distributions on Raspberry Pi or x64.

Regards
Adrian