[SOLVED] LCD 16x2 display on RPI2

Hallo, I am new to this forum. After several months of experience in using VOLUMIO I decided to step up in the experiece, improving my current music server (RPI2+Kali reclocker+Piano DAC) with a LCD 16x2 Display (HD44780 compatible). Firstly I searched among the plugins in Volumio.org but it seems that this issue was not tacked by other users posting.php?mode=post&f=16&sid=3c882a817661883b25a63393977ff3f0#. I am not an expert in programming, so after this bad news, I read tons of papers and guides (Andy PI, Adafruit among the first readings) and finally tried to start programing using the Andiy PI guideline. But after several night of temptatives nothing! the display is well connected to the available pins of Piano DAC and it seems might be a problem of driver…I read in several old threads in this forum that might be a problem of compatibility with HD44780.so …I am getting frustrated !!!
Is anybody so kind to help me?
Ciao

Have you checked this plugin volumio-plugins-collection-t6251-10.html?hilit=HD44780#p31918

Edit:

Also, hifi-stb-case-t6431.html?hilit=HD44780#p31709
i2c-lcd-display-issues-with-volumio-t5203.html?hilit=HD44780#p27468

I have written a limited HD44780 plugin, and I say limited because it will only show MPD/Kodi items.
My development halted because of other priorities (SnapCast/Kodi).

You can either use jedails plugin (serial connection + button support) or mine (serial or i2c for hd44780 and python scripts for display as opposed to nodejs). Both installations are quite easy (drag-and-drop).

Thanks to both!

TO chsims1: I will try to install the raspdac plugin: how to setup the GPIO ports?

To Saiyato: it seems the plugin developped by you (volumio-hd44780-plugin) isworking only in raspeberry 1. Is it possible to use even on raspeberry 2?

It might work on the Pi2, I did update the driver at some point and I think I have even tested it successfully. Haven’t fully tested it lately though. You can try it, it shouldn’t break anything, but clean up isn’t implemented yet… you will have to delete the mpdlcd manually.

You will have to edit the raspdacdisplay.js file manually. The GPIO pins are SABRE-specific (the Audiophonics DAC).

Will the Raspdac plugin work exclusively with Pis that have Raspdacs, or would any DAC work?

To Sayato Great, your plugin works perfectly!
I just installed, and after configuration of GPIO available for display connection now it is working!
thanks!

small question, is it the same for a RPi zero W, because i installed your plugin and connect the lcd to the gpio ports and activated it.

bit nog luck just some blocks on the right side which light up…

is it correct that for the RPI zero the display configuration of the I2C port is assigned to 0x3F

jochem

Hi Jochem,

You should detect the used port with i2cdetect -y 1 (or 0). I can’t predict which port is used, this depends on the display you use, most common is 0x27 as far as I know.

hi Saiyato,

i don’t get it, i follow the instructions but there is still no txt on the lcd… if i do a i2cdetect on 1 i see:

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

so no lcd address…

i connected the lcd to the raspberry pi zero and no DAC, just to tackle this problem i used the standaard GPIO pins…
but still no luck

please help this noob :slight_smile:

I think you might need to enable the i2c bus, take a look here. I think the bus is not yet enabled, hence the missing entry.

Thanks a lot for your plugin Saiyato! I spent hours getting my display working, till I finally found this thread, and with you plugin it worked at once.

Thanks Saiyato for the plugin! I am using VFD. Do you know if that is possible to configure the display not to show any characters when stopped? Or maybe just spaces since they are invisible on VFD.

hello
i am a newbie and i try to make the lcd to work. the connection diagram is this:

i have logged in to volumio with putty and downloaded the zip file and unzipped. i have executed ./install.sh
but the plugin hasn’t appeared.
can you write me a step by step guide?

Regards

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum :slight_smile:
At first I would like to apologize for my English - I write with a translator …

My problem is with the Raspberry Pi 3+ with Volumio installed to the HD44780 16x2 program using I2C. I can’t do the latter, Linux is “black magic” for me. Pins on GPIO (VCC + 5v, GND, SDA, SCL) transfer smoothly.
Very one of the honorable forum members to enter the abbreviation (PUTTY) for the given name. I’ve been fighting for over a week and nothing …

Thank you and best regards to all volumio users.

Kris