Install for Intel NUC

I want to use an Intel NUC for Volumio. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5cpyh.html

I want to boot from the SD card.

How can i make the SD card for this… I understand there is no install plug in, but i am having trouble applying the ‘x386 from hdd’ thread.

Basically, how do i make the .img file into the real and usable image/partitions/etc… on an SD card.

I use Windows, i dont have a linux machine for all of these mount commands…

The Intel NUC and Volumio is a perfect combo, i use it as a test machine for the x86 build.
You DO have a linux machine, namely the one you will boot from with the stick or sd card you flashed Volumio image to.
Just try to follow the script https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-x86-install-hdd-t5058.html by the letter and all the things you are worried about are done properly.
Try it and see how far you get and immediately ask for help if you get stuck.

– Gé –

I follow the steps, but the NUC never boots… I have been in the BIOS and boot menu to choose the correct drive and have attempted to boot from a USB stick.(it shows up as boot choice)

I have used win32diskimager to install the image onto a USB stick. Choose USB in boot menu. With a HDMI display connected, Nothing is ever displayed after choosing to boot from the USB. The screen is active, just nothing happens…

Possibly i misunderstand the instructions, but that is how i understand them…

I will continue trying as per the post, in the chance i have done something incorrectly.

Updated Bios and the USB stick boots up to Volumio first try… Bios was 7 versions and 8 months old…

I usually do Bios update first thing on a new machine, sorry for the troubles…

So, everything works?

Hi everyone,
I hope this thread’s not too old to reply, my problem is not the same of the opener, but it’s related to a NUC installation. Basically, it doesn’t start dhcp and it doesn’t find eth0, so network doesn’t work, no matter what config I try. The Intel Nuc is the last generation (7), core i3 (NUC7i3BNH). Could it be a driver problem? Thanks.

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi,
a separate topic would have been better for transparency, but anyway.
Your issue is the newest NUC model, it seems Intel now uses the I219-V chipset for 10/100/1000 eth connections.
Our kernel does not support it I’m afraid. I will check if Intel offers an install package we can use.
You are not the first one with this issue and we can expect this chipset to appear in many other boards.
If there is no support package then I’m afraid we need to go forward with our plans to move to a mainline kernel.
I’ll let you know.

– Gé –

Hi Gé,
many thanks for your fast reply.
Sorry for writing in this old thread, I think it’s useless now starting a new one, but if you prefer let me know!
Ok as I was thinking it’s a driver problem of the kernel, thanks for confirmation. I will search with you if I find something useful from Intel or other sources.
Many thanks for now, it’s a pity that I’m not able to use Volumio on this brand new machine!

Michele

Michele,
this week I intend to build an x86 image with kernel version 4.9
Would you volunteer to test? (as you obviously have a device with an i219v chipset)

Hi Gé,
these are good news!
Sure I’ll test the new image,
glad to volunteer.
Thanks for the opportunity,
let me know. I hope this will bring
to a new stable compatible release, if test is ok.
Thanks
Michele

a first version, curious if your eth0 connection now comes up: click here to download x86 version -krnl4.9
This version has been running on my laptop for more than 5 hours , but it is still WIP.
So, not impossible to get stuck somewhere else with your setup. I would like to know if that happens.
Again, network first…

Thanks Gé,
I will try this test version as soon as I can and I’ll let you know.
Thanks

Hi Gé,

sorry for the delay, little child here around… :slight_smile:

Just tried the new 4.9 image: unfortunately the behaviour is the same of the official image,
no ethernet, no dhcp, no network found. Sorry…

Let me know if I can help in some way
Thanks

Michele

Unfortunately I discovered more issues. Kernel 4.9 with volumio based on jessie is not going to happen I’m afraid.
Only chance you have at the moment is a wireless dongle… Really sorry…

Oh really bad news! :frowning:
What a pity, I would enjoy the x86 version so bad!
Anyway, thanks for your help, great work.

Michele

Hi,
I have just purchased a NUC5CPYH and have successfully installed volumio on a usb stick. Works great.
However, I have not been able to install it on a sd card or on the sata internal drive. I have tried the methods described in the forum to the letter but in both cases (sd card and hdd) the boot process stops at “sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off”. At this point it hangs and you cannot access the the terminal. A couple of lines before this you get the "unable to resolve 'UUID …etc. message.

I am really enjoying volumio and would really like to boot it from the hdd.

Regards

Malcolm

Hello,
I know this is an old discussion, but, as it was never closed, I’d wish to say that Intel NUCs don’t support boot from SDCard slot

If I try to boot directly from the SD card inserted in the SD card slot of the NUC, it fails, because Linux doesn’t find the UUID of the root and the boot filesystems or partitions; the message is

findfs unable to resolve uuid CC23-EE0D 
findfs unable to resolve uuid 6c0d3184-7851-46c3-919b-ed4c1d379708

Searching a little, I found, in the Intel site, this note:

Intel® NUC products don't support booting from SD cards. We have no plans to add this capability.

That’s not exactly true as NUC5PPYH does at least boot LibreELEC from SD card. Tried that myself.

You are right. Despite the Intel documentation I’ve just been able to make a bootable SD card for my NUC.
So I guess that a correctly prepared SD card can boot from the Intel NUCs.