Inspired by Audiophonics

I’ve already got a RasPi 3B with a Hifiberry DAC connected to my stereo and I am very happy with it. But it’s just working flawlessly and it hasn’t got a display, so something had to be done:
Yes, I had to build another Volumio client, with a touch display. This nearly went wrong because I found the Audiophonics RaspTouch on the internet, which had an amp included and analog-out to connect it to a stereo. But it had the switch on the side of the case (bad for putting it in a shelf), needs an external powersupply and has the volumecontrol somewhere, but not on the front, so I didn’t buy it.
But I liked the style, so I decided to adopt it.
The case is mainly made of plywood.

Preparing the front with mounts for the display.
01.JPG

Adding a panel under the display for volumecontrol, powerswitch and IR-sensor.
02.jpeg

The front is fixed with screws and can be removed. Lots of putty to get a smooth surface.
03.JPG

I forgot to take pictures of building the rest. There is the IR-sensor on the right, a rotary encoder and the powerbutton / status-LED on the left.

04.JPG

05.JPG

The connectors are on the back.

06.JPG

Inside most of the space is taken by the main powersupply. On the bridge in the back there is a 2-channel relais-card to shut down the main powersupply. It is controlled with an arduino nano, that is constantly powered by a mini-powersupply.

07.JPG

Under the bridge I put the pi and a Hifiberry Amp2, which also powers the pi.

08.JPG

I connected the arduino and the pi via a logic level converter (the pi runs on 3.3V and the arduino on 5V) to tell the pi to shutdown or to know if it has fully booted. I used the ATX-RasPi script from LowPowerLabs for that.
The IR sensor (TSOP4838) is connected to the pi and the LLC. I plan to use the IR-remote for Volumio and the arduino (for power functions) in future.

Overall I’m really happy with this streaming station, the sound of the Hifiberry Amp is great! The only thing that is not working well yet is the rotary encoder, it always misses steps.