Idiots guide to wifi

Hi Just loaded volumio onto my RPI and if I connect the pi to a LAN socket on my wireless router than I can log into the volumio.local and control the pi. I need to get a wireless solution so I have plugged a Edimax EW-7811Un into one of the USB sockets. I then went into the network configuration menu of the web interface and entered SSID as linksys (thats what my laptop thinks its called). I then selected the correct encryption and put my wireless passcode into the box and asked saved the changes. Once this was done the passcode could not be seen in the box. I then rebooted the pi hoping this would be job done, however, the blue light of the wifi dongle just flashes and I cannot access the pi other than by LAN cable?

Could someone please outline the steps I need to take to make this all work. Sorry for the basic nature of the question. I am new to this and this is my first post.

Cheers
Ian

Great software by the way and I look forward to getting it all up and running!

Issue now sorted and the pi is happily wirelessly streaming internet radio.

The answer is that Volumio doesn’t seem to support WEP encryption. As soon as I reconfigured our server to WPA and then changed the settings in the Volumio gui it found the WLAN0 IP address.

The software appears very good, I do think it would be useful though to put all the info together for the easy setting up the boards to help like me (less skilled!).

Next step is to try and connect my homebuilt TDA1541A DAC to the I2S.

Cheers
Ian