Idea for my first Volumio project

Hi guys,
I have currently a RPI3 plus a HifiBerry DAC PRO+ plugged into a small case, running Volumio. It is connected to my stereo amplifier (a Puro 800 Indiana Line), and it works fine, streaming music from Tidal using an HI-FI temporary account (I still have to decide if make a permanent one in the next weeks…).

I’m happy because is my first experience with “liquid music”, but I’d like to improve it, assembling a more complete streamer.
I’ve read tons of posts in this sub-forum, and also on other ones (obviously starting from HifiBerry forum, and others…).
My idea starts basically from the “HifiBerry Streamer”, a DIY project that you can find here hifiberry.com/build/guides/ … audio-case

This is very complex, I’d like to make a simpler one, even if with some difference.
Here the basic requirements:

1. Usage of RPI3, HifiBerry DAC PRO+ (I have it now, maybe I could buy another in the future…)
  2. Provide separate Power supplier for RPi and DAC, using a linear PSU
  3. Have a switch in the rear panel (close to the IEC socket)
  4. Have 2 RCA connector , plus 2-3 USB port in the rear panel
  5. In the front panel, a power button, HDMI port, 1 USB port, 1 microSD port (to eventually substitute the RPI microSD without opening the case)
  6. Additional a 16x2 display to show basic info like current playing track, time remaining/elapsed, etc.

I try to build a schema of the connections, starting from pictures of the “HifiBerry Streamer” project, adapting to my needs.

I have a lot of doubtsa about connections:

1. How to connect the display to the RPi-DAC? Due to the fact that the DAC is positioned on top of the RPI1, I suppose that I have to connect it to the DAC. How? Do I need to soldering something on the DAC (e.g. a male 40 pins connector?)
  2. To split the power supply for the DAC and the RPi1, I red that I have to de-solder the R14 resistor on the DAC, and then provide power supply to the pin header P3. Correct? How to plug here the cables?
  3. To use a couple of RCA plugs tied to the case, I have to get the audio signal from L-GND-R pins. How to connect a RCA cable to them?

Then I have some problems about the assembling (I’m a newbie about DIY, never assembled anytihng…):

1. How should be big the case? I’m thinking about 24x20x5 cm… more or less… too small? too big?
  2. How to drill the case: I don’t have tools (CNC or others) to male perfect circle or square holes. Any suggestions? Can I do them simply with a manual drill? Are there services on the web to provide panels with all the need holes, giving them a schema?
  3. How to mount the 16x2 display on the case? Shall I use a piece of plexiglass/plastic/whatever else… to protect it? Anybody knows about a tutorial? I’ve searched but I didn’t found anything.

Here a draft schema of the connections…

Schema Streamer 001.jpg