I2S DACs

Which ones are compatible? HiFi Berry, Wolfson, IQAudio, … are they all ready to go with Volumio?

The HiFiBerry Digi+ and DAC+ are definitely compatible.

Gonna see if it works at Odroid c1+ And Hifi Shield (I2s dac)

Does anyone know if the Wolfson or the Cirrus Logic/Wolfson cards are compatible?

I’m interested in these boards because they also have audio inputs. It would be really cool if we had the feature of streaming analog audio inputs across our networks to another device. I would easily build two Raspberry Pi’s to have that.

There’s a complete thread about the wolfson DAC with 229 post’s here wolfson-audio-card-with-volumio-t851.html

So basically yes it work’s. But I have no clue about audio input. Volumio itself doesn’t use audio input and has no support for it. But this shouldn’t stop you, you can change every thing and adding audio in should be possible.

Ia there a general consensus about chinese boards? Which one sounds best? Any mods possible? Which of the “non chinese” is absolute best? To the ear, not to the advertiser.

Poslano z mojega LG-D855 z uporabo Tapatalk

Best to the ear so incredibly personal. You might like heavy basses while I don’t. Even the same chip on a board with other quality capacitors can sound different.
You should try out a few and see what you like.
I personally went for a dac that has a higher sales and thus support level with spec’s that fit my requirements. (iqaudio pidac+)

Will all i2s dacs fit all rberry boards?

Lets say pidac+. Will it fit my Odroid c1+'s layout of pins and slots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope… Odroid i2s DAC is a good fit only for Odroid :smiley:

Well, what about the reverse? Can I fit any i2s dac on top of an Odroid?

The odriod’s got i2s and offer a dedicated hat style dac for the c series. You would probably need to use wires from the Gpio’s to use other Dac boards. Basically if a device has full i2s support it could use a i2s dac. But results will vary.

I am currently using HiFi Shield as dac and wanted to know if I can use any other i2s dac.

But it seems that I have to love my Shield [emoji3]

I use the lucid labs DAC which is compatible with the original hifiberry or durio sound pinout. With a raspberry pi 3 and the new version is there a compatible DAC choice in the software

It’s just a matter whether Linux kernel has a support for a DAC chip or not. Since there are many products based on the same chip it will work no matter who is the manufacturer.
Just wire up i2s and you’re golden.

I know that Linux supports it. In the past I’ve just chosen hifiberry but that option is not available in the new release for the raspberry pi 3

I use an Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC with a Raspberry Pi2.
It works with the Hifiberry DAC driver on Volumio.

Trillien

Hi,

I am thinking about building the open source gamma3 high resolution DAC with I2S module from AMB laboratories:

amb.org/audio/gamma3/

Does anybody know if this one is known to work with volumio via I2S? Platform at the moment is RPi2 but can imagine a change to udoo because of SATA that would enable me to have the music directly stored instead of streamed.

I bought this DAC from DIYINHK and plan to use it on a BeagleBone or Rpi with I2S. I see this DAC is asynchronous since it “generate MCK Internally with BCK as reference” (according to the specs). Do I need to setup the I2S manually to not use the MCLK or the board will automatically detect it?

DAC board: diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/ … lator.html

That diyinhk DAC might say it is asynchronous, but it does not reclock the signal, thus relying on the Pi’s (or whichever device is dreaming the I2S signals) and is probably creating an internal phase locked loop to steady the clock.
I don’t think that this is an optimal way to design an DAC. But only your ears will tell you if it sounds good.

As for the answer to your question, you will ned to turn on the I2S DAC feature in Volumio, and select one of the simple DACs. Several will work, but the HiFiBerry DAC is probably sufficient to get I2S signals out of the GPIO connector.

They you will need to create some sort of cable to get LRCK, BCK, DATA, and GND to the diyinhk DAC.