How do I use Spotify?

I’ve activated the Spotify plugin on Volumio2, with a working username and password. The plugin is shown as “Active”.

But, I see no way to actually use Spotify. It is not visible anywhere else in the interface.

Help, please!

Clicking on the ‘Browse’ tab should show all your music sources, including Spotify. Have you tried restarting Volumio?

I have a related problem - the plugin works OK but all I seem to be able to access are my play lists - the main thing I was looking forward to with the new Volumio was a better Spotify interface. Am I missing something or do I have to use the proper Spotify app to find the music I want and set up a playlist?

The Spotify plugin for Volomio 2 is under active development. The next release should support “Features Playlists”, “What’s New” and “Genres & Moods”.

Hopefully we can integrate good search results soon after that.

The new Spotify Web Api requires users to authenticate through an OAUTH flow where they sign in to their Spotify account and give the third party permission to access their account. Once that capability is added in Volumio, the entire new API can be used to create a very feature rich and compelling user experience for Spotify users with Volumio 2. It’s coming, but should take a few weeks to complete.

Browse does not show Spotify s a source.

I have rebooted.

The Plugins screen shows that Spotify is “On”. I can click to turn it “Off” but when I come back to Plugins it is still On.

Do you have spotify premium? If yes, you may have a problem with the facebook login…

Sorry to mix up the two problems - but thanks skirkwood for a helpful response to my issue

I’m using Spotify Premium, and the username/password I am providing are my usual Spotify login credentials.

Spotify does not work for me in Volumio2. The plugin is still inactive. The provided username and password are correct - I can login to the Spotify Web Player on play.spotify.com.

Any logs I can grep to see an potential problem?

The /var/log/volumio.log tells me the following:

2016-07-26T12:27:16.824Z - info: Enabling plugin spop
2016-07-26T12:27:16.828Z - info: Loading plugin “spop”…
2016-07-26T12:27:16.830Z - info: Applying required configuration parameters for plugin spop
2016-07-26T12:27:17.045Z - info: SpopD Daemon Started
2016-07-26T12:27:22.051Z - info: Connecting to daemon
2016-07-26T12:27:22.085Z - info: SPOP command error:
2016-07-26T12:27:22.095Z - info: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:6602
at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1007:11)
at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1030:20)
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1080:14)
2016-07-26T12:27:22.100Z - info: SPOP status error:
2016-07-26T12:27:22.107Z - info: Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:6602
at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1007:11)
at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1030:20)
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1080:14)
2016-07-26T12:27:22.488Z - info: The access token expires at 1469539642065
2016-07-26T12:27:22.489Z - info: The access token is …
2016-07-26T12:27:22.490Z - info: Spotify credentials grant success

The Spotify plugin uses a SPOP daemon and is trying to open up a socket connection on port 6602 to connect to it. For some reason that is not being successful. I’m afraid I don’t have any ideas what to do in order to diagnose the problem further, other than trying a reboot.

There’s a closed bug report where the Spotify plugin didn’t work due to a the system language chose was German, resulting in a missing file:

github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues/515

The bottom three lines are the plugin getting an authorization token from the Spotify Web API, which was successful. For now, both the older SPOP daemon and new Spotify Web API are being used together.

If you download the latest release of Spotify 2 version 0.976 - you’ll find the new categories of “Featured Playlists”, “What’s New” and “Genres & Moods”. Also, if you do a search in the site search bar you’ll get Spotify results categories of artists, albums, playlists and tracks. If you click on an artist you will see their top tracks, albums and related artists. We’re using Spotify album artwork for these results as well.

Certain there will be bugs here, but this is the first phase of better Spotify support, a lot more to come!

updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/0 … pi.img.zip

Thanks - certainly a step forward - looking forward to the full implementation

I have the exact same problem, any idea to do fix it? I have two volumio 2 running on RPI3 and PRI2B, both have the same problem.

Hello

I have just setup Volumio - Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry Amp.

I had been using Runeaudio, but had some problems Including no volume control on Spotify!

The changeover was very easy - congratulations.

I have one question relating to Spotify. I can see Playlist, What’s New and Genres & Moods.
However the list of genres is much shorter than I see on the Spotify App. In particular I cannot see the Classical or Jazz genres.

Does this need an update?

Thanks

Boydwilluk

I didn’t realize that the API call only returned 20 objects, with a pager object for the next 20. Oops! I’ll try to fix this as soon as possible.

using version of 12-12 fresh install today, i see all my spotify playlists so connection is working but playback of songs does not looking at the log i see the folloeing:
ADDING DEFER FOR COMMAND stop
2352 2016-12-18T14:54:41.855Z - info: SPOP command error:
2353 2016-12-18T14:54:41.866Z - info: Error: This socket has been ended by the other party
2354 at Socket.writeAfterFIN [as write] (net.js:291:12)
2355 at applyWithContext (/data/plugins/music_service/spop/node_modules/fast.js/function/applyWithContext.js:15:22)
2356 at /data/plugins/music_service/spop/node_modules/fast.js/function/bind.js:63:14
2357 at onBoundPromise (/data/plugins/music_service/spop/node_modules/kew/kew.js:834:10)
2358 at ncall (/data/plugins/music_service/spop/node_modules/kew/kew.js:816:44)

It turns out “What’s New” and “Genres & Moods” returned 20 results by default. Just upped that to 50 and submitted a pull request. Should be in the next release of Volumio. If you can’t wait, grab index.js from here:
github.com/skikirkwood/volumio- … ce/spotify

And copy it to your Volumio server in this folder:
/data/plugins/music_service/spop

Then restart Volumio. Someday we will do this properly with pagination objects, but for now, grabbing up to 50 results should be good enough.

Merged! Will release an update of the plugin asap!

Thanks for the quick turnaround Michelangelo!