how to run UI from the RPI (not networked)

I have an RPI2 to which I have installed a hifiberry Digi+. This drives the digital input of my minidsp crossover to what I would characterize as a reasonably hifi audiophile set of amps and speakers.

I am running 1.55, and have been able to get this to run, more or less. The wifi module is Edimax.

I have experienced many problems with the web UI losing synchronization with any device/os I point to the rpi. While I am able to get music going from my playlists, I soon become unable to resynch or otherwise log into the rpi. I don’t know why this is, but I am pretty exhausted with patience for the networked part of this. I do not see this as viable (e.g., I cannot possibly hand this to my wife and tell her to launch safari on her mac and point it to volumio.local- things will bomb and the unit becomes very unstable (e.g., I have had to remove the jump drive with my FLAC library and run checkdisk on it, I have had to reflash the uSD card with the volumio release, etc., etc.).

At present, I do not regard this as suitable for release into the wild right now, at least in networked mode.

What I want to be able to do: I am hooking a 7" touch screen to the RPI to do away with any need to network into this device, and would very much like to be able to run the volumio UI from the RPI directly. Anyone able to tell me how this is done (can it be done?)? I suspect if I can set this up to run completely contained within the rpi environment, I will stand a much better chance of reaching stability with it.

It shows too much promise for me to simply turn away…

Thanks!

-M

hello,
There is no easy way to do what you want to do. There is a thread (search the forum) about using a 7" touch screen. If you can read french, have a look here : http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1501
For the problem of lost connection, are you sure that the power saving mode of your usb dongle is disable ? http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2015/06/how-to-disable-wifi-power-saving-on-the-raspberry-pi/

You could also try to give the R-pi an fixed ip address via dhcp or locally (I personally prefer dhcp)
This has helped with the connecting problem before.

I don’t really understand the problem you have with losing synchronization and resyncing. Does the red power light on your R-pi blink? If so your power supply could be the problem.

Mobey:

Great links, both of those! The problems I am having do resonate with a power save on the Edimax, and mine is one of the 7811’s. I will make the changes per that link.

The French link was just what I was looking for! They are doing precisely what I want. I would guess that if I could sort the details to be able to get the current volumio 1.55 image set to work with the commands needed to pull in iceweasel and then to be able to execute an X windows session (startx), I could probably find my way. I am not much of a Linux guy (yet…).

It may be simpler to configure a release along the lines of that French posting, from the bottom up, I don’t know.

I just finished reformatting my jump drive and copying over the FLACs again, so that I am starting from a fresh, known good base, and the first thing I will do is to make the changes for the Edimax.

Thanks very much for your input on this!

Well, initial testing went well enough, and then I brought it into the system, and…no joy.

Testing is done on a Dell laptop running Win7, wirelessly connecting to the same router as the RPI. Have no trouble bringing up the UI and setting up playlists, etc. Shut it down, bring the unit to the stereo, plug it in, and attempt to connect with an Asus tablet running Win8…initially get the UI, but the UI does not respond to commands. Eventually whole thing locks and Explorer throws an error screen. Resetting RPI does not work, Asus never regains connection. I cannot see what is happening at the RPI end because it’s running headless, of course.

Pull the RPI, pull the usb drive and checkdisk it to clean up any problems. Put this back together, take it back to the stereo and plug it all back in. Attempt to connect via Dell laptop this time, while assembled into the stereo chain…no joy.

This is very characteristic of my experiences thus far.

Oh, and I made the changes as per the link on the Edimax- system came right back up and ran fine, the very first time I attempted things.

I will check the power supply next, as this is the only hardware bit that changed between what is used to set this up and what is used to run it in the stereo. I have noticed, too, that things really become non-responsive when I connect the SPDIF instead of the TOSLINK. Toslink of course ensures absolutely no electrical contact with the interfaced device. But I am running a hifidigi+ with the spdif isolation transformer, and there’s another isolation transformer at the interfaced device end, too, so, I don’t know quite what’s going on, there, either.

Saving that, I am going to hold until my touch screen arrives and I can grab this thing by the throat and force compliance to user commands free of any network nonsense.

-M

OK, I think I found the issue. Power supplies were not it; both supplies are rated at 2A or more.

But what WAS the problem was this: my stereo cabinet is not located so favorably with respect to the router. So, I was not getting much of a connection in terms of reliability. When I moved the RPI into the center of the room, viola, a solid connection, and all machines and OS combos could log in, and the device responded well.

Still like the idea of a local touch screen, though. Guess I am a bit old school there, but I suppose others would also be interested.

Thanks again,

M

You’re welcome :wink:

You are not the only one who wants to do this. I for one also want to do it :sunglasses:
I already have a blinking new R-pi with touch screen. Alas I don’t have time to spare…

There was an other user that got it to work with a small size touch screen. I’m only afraid that it didn’t work on release 1.55 you’ll have to find his thread. If 1.55 won’t work you could have a go with the newly released beta.

Actually, as I look at this further, I am concluding that while it would be great to be able to run a touch screen off the volumio-based RPI2 I am using, I am wondering if it is not better for me to simply make another RPI with a touch screen and use this wirelessly to connect to the RPI running volumio. I say this because I wonder how much work has gone into slimming down the kernel to make it a reliable player, and what would need to be done to undo much of this to be able to host the UI.

This would be straight forward, as it is easy to find the 7" touch screen kit, and a polycarbonate housing for the flat panel and an RPI. But this approach is a little pricey, and is also bound by a power supply cord to the touch screen. But, since it is tethered to the power supply anyway, instead of a wireless dongle, you could conceivably use a crossover network cable and plug Ethernet port to Ethernet port, from the touch screen RPI to the Volumio RPI. Getting the setup right for that will be an exercise, but it seems to me that it would not be unreasonable.

Another way would be to make use of the ultra cheap Android tablets that are around for $50 or so. I have an older Samsung tablet I am going to attempt to repurpose, too, I think.

Main thing with this Android approach is that it would be nice to set a static IP for the Volumio RPI, so that those android devices can connect. Unless someone has made an Android app that does what Bonjour does, if I understand Bonjour’s purpose correctly.

I think that the Android solution would be the easiest and a cheap way and thusly the preferred setup for most users.

I would advise to set a dhcp reservation for the raspberry pi with volumio this skippes the whole naming issue that makes bonjour fail.
For me my router doesn’t use .local but something other not documentated like .home or such.

Just connected my touchscreen with a fresh 1.55 installation, but this doesn’t work out of the box.
Looks like the display interface isn’t sending any signal to the screen. Volumio 2 does work.

Check your boot.ini to see whether the variables for this have been activated so you can see a picture on the screen.