Hotspot bug?

Hi,
I’m a new user of volumio 2 (before I used … Runeaudio 0.3 :blush: !) : it’s a great job (Very nice UI, easy to setup, Spotify seems run fine and there is an hotspot function…)

My config is:
RPI1 B+
IQAudio dac+
Wifi dongle Edimax ew-7811un
Volumio release 2.041
No Wifi network
Wire Network

I want to use the Volumio hotspot function:
So, i connect my wire network to RPI to manage Volumio with my PC.

1 - To begin, I disable Volumio Wireless network, enable hotspot and change hotspot name and password.
-I try to connect with an android tablet : I see the Volumio hotspot, i enter password , but there is an authentication error
-I try with different kind of password, with the same problem …

2- I reset Volumio (Factory reset)
-I retry to connect with my tablet and it runs (with default hotspot ans password name) !
-I change hotspot name and password : it runs !
-I disconnect wire network and i restart Volumio : Connection to hotspot with my tablet is OK !
-I connect wire network, I restart Volumio. So i disable Volumio Wireless network: Connection to hotspot with my tablet does n’t runs!

So to connect to hotspot i need:
-To enabled Volumio Wireless network
-To enabled Hotspot

Strong passwords as hash md5 key can be used.

Maybe there is a little bug. It should be possible to enable hotspot and disabled access wireless network.
I found a temporary solution: enable Volumio Wireless network and set Automatic IP=Off staticIP=undefined Netmask=undefined Gateway=undefined: Connection to hotspot with my tablet runs.

Regards,

Fabrice

In fact our reasoning behind disable wireless networking is: you disable it to turn off every wireless communication, since sometimes it can interfere with sound quality.
On the other hand, if you just want hotspot, don’t connect to any wireless network…
Hope that makes sense for you!

Hi MichelAngelo,

Thanks a lot for your response.
I understand what you mean. It’s OK for me,

This function will be very usefull to manage Volumio with a tablet in place without wifi network (in my car :smiley: ), and seems run fine with my edimax dongle on my old RP1.

Regards,

fabrice

Dear Fabrice,
the nice thing is that if you connect to your home network via wifi. Then take your pi in the car, since it will not find your wireless network it will then create the hotstpot automatically…

The hotspot does not re activate for me when it does not connect to my home network and I cannot re access the settings menu until I get home again. I just perform a fresh install on the memory card when I am away from home.

I thought the hotspot would activate automatically when it did not find my local SSID

Running Volumio VERSION: 2.389
RPi Zero W + Allo mini boss
8gb sd card

the same exact thing is happening to me

+1

Josef

Hi Guys, you need to enable the hotspot fallback option in network settings. Let me know

Did any of the previous posters find a resolution to the problem as I have the exact same thing, Connect to a WiFi signal and all is good, when losing the WiFi signal hotspot fallback does not start and I am left disconnected until I reboot, then hotspot starts up.
This is really frustrating me as I’m looking to be without WiFi for some while but can use my iPhone hotspot to connect to if internet needed.