Help on Tinker Board Set Up

Got Volumio up and running on ASUS Tinker Board. For playback options I can choose: HDMI audio; SPDIF; or Audio Jack Out. What do I choose if I want to connect to my DAC via the Tinker Boards USB output? Will that not work?

It should be USB: name of your DAC.

If you dont see it, your DAC is not detected.

Thanks. I have not hooked it up to my Emotiva DAC yet, so I am sure it will be OK when I do. thanks, again.

With Volumio for Tinker on micro SD it boots up fine the first time. All parts of the program run fine. But any subsequent attempts to run Volumio go nowhere. All Tinker LED’s blink for a few seconds, then only the red one. Volumio then does not show up on my router. If I copy a new version onto the micro SD again Volumio boots up again. But only the first time. I have an ASUS RT-N66R router. Windows 10. I do not know a lot about routers and networks. Am I not shutting down Volumio improperly, or do you think it is router setup, or something on micro SD? Should I hook up to a monitor and see if it hangs up in a particular place? Thanks.

There is a shutdown menu and you can shutdown from there.

Does the I2S DAC works?

Volumio kept crashing on my new Tinker Board. It would only boot up on the initial boot up/set up. All subsequent attempts to start/boot up failed and Volumio would not show up on my router. I tried reformatting the 8 GB micro SD card and it would only work one time again. On the third or fourth burn on the SD card I got some failed file messages. I ripped the image files onto a new 16 GB card and it booted up AND, ta da, it has booted up each time since. I have set it up to read off of my NAS (WD MyCloud) and all setups seem to be working just fine. Almost midnight now, so the moment of truth is tomorrow when I hook it all up to my Emotiva DAC. I intend to run the USB out of the Tinker Board and into my Emotiva DC-1. No HAT DAC or SPDIF out yet.

USB Audio should work fine, curious to hear about the Emotiva

Not as much time today as I thought. Got it up and running off of my NAS and listened on headphone jack. Not bad audio on headphone jack. Not great, but not bad. Got the Volumio hot spot up and running. I am the opposite of a computer geek, so all this is new to me. DAC hookup in next. I have two Emotiva DACs and Teac. I am sure one will work.

Heatsink gets toasty on Tinker Board but not as hot as some seem to claim. Not worried about it.

Overall impressed with Tinker Board speed and Volumio performance. Now I also have to rip all my CDs to my NAS. Only one on their so far. That will take some time.

I am wondering if Tinker Board power would be sufficient to fun a USB SSD. Also will be trying that.

Tinker Board running but with one issue: Ethernet connection from my router works great, ties to my NAS, plays files great, etc. No problems there. I can also boot up TB/Volumio as a Hot Spot, but the Hot Spot does not recognize my wireless network, but recognizes about every other device in my house and neighborhood. What could be causing this? (I am not a network savvy person)

Well, I keep learning on this project, which is the frustrating but fun part of DIY. Tinker Board and Volumio wireless would only recognize the 2.4GH output of my router, not the 5GH. Once I mated it to the 2.5GH of my router via my laptop it fired up. So now I have ethernet, wireless and hot spot up and running. Time to load up my NAS with my CD’s and hook up this little beast to my living room DAC/stereo and see how it sounds. So far still on headphones, which is a nice feature of the Tinker Board.

Alright, I have Volumio running on my Tinker Board into my Teac DAC. Working just fine with the IOs app. Playing songs wirelessly from my WD MyCloud NAS. volumio on Tinker Board lists my Teac as “Device.” I am sure it will play with my Emotiva as well. that’s next. Also next up is getting it to play iTunes off of my wife’s iPad.

Got it so my wife can stream her iTunes wirelessly to Volumio and Tinker Board from her iPad and iPhone. Pretty cool. Now I only have to give it a try on my Emotiva DAC and Bryston amp and/or Hypex amp. I got Tinker Board on eBay for $53 and a power supply for $12 at a computer store. Pretty amazing. If I can get this thing up and running on all my devices then surely about anyone can.

my tinker board is running smoothly when streaming music from NAS, usb thumb drive is working fine as well. But when i tried to play music from an external hard drive, which could be detected and all music files could be seen in the apk, however everytime when i start to play, the system will shout down immediaty. i am using a 5v 25w power supply.

Is the hard drive connected to the Tinker Board and running off the Tinker Board’s power supply? If that is the case, it could be the power supply. How many amps in your power supply? What type of hard drive?

Hi there,

I’ve just bought a Tinker Board (TB) S, the new one with onboard 16G eMMC.

I downloaded the Volumio image for Tinker Board from the Volumio website, and flashed it onto the eMMC (formatted) with Etcher. Upon booting up, I reached up to the point where I entered the login (Volumio) and the password (Volumio), then the stylised “Volumio” word appears, below which were “Free Audiophile Linus Music Player - Version 2.0”.

Then nothing happens. I’ve booted the TB several times with the same results. I’ve also tried booting from the SD card flashed with the Volumio image but there was no difference.

Any advice from you guys?

volumio.github.io/docs/User_Man … Guide.html