Hello from Florida (USA)

Tell us who you are, why you love music and well... why Volumio!

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Hello from Florida (USA)

Postby genobpgh » Mon Jan 09 2017 20:34

Hey All,

Glad to come aboard the forums :)

I am currently designing a dac to be used with VolumIO. I'm excited to be able to be able to contribute to such a wonderful project.

Take Care!

genobpgh
Random avatar
genobpgh
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Ads helps Volumio remain Free and Open Source. Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Hello from Florida (USA)

Postby JLH » Wed Jan 11 2017 14:33

Hi there - which Dac are you looking to use? I'm currently using Piano + Kali ( Kali made a huge difference ). I was thinking about getting a Prism Callia - I may still get one to demo, they are rather expensive and you still need a streamer! - Thinking about external Dacs / streamer was what led me to Pi platform and external Dacs as a good fairly low cost way of finding out if my aging ears with a bit of tinnitus could still tell the difference - happily they can.
Anyway, looking around at hi-end Dac chips I believe that the Cirrus CS4398, beloved of Prism, would be an excellent choice. I could design a board using one of these but, not being much of a software engineer I'd have to nail it at 44.1 / 16 bit - fine for my large library of Flac rips, but rather limited and of no use as a complete solution.

I'm professional hardware engineer - many years at AMS Neve and Calrec before setting up on my own 12 years ago - www.jlhsystems.co.uk.
Regards,
John Haughton
Random avatar
JLH
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Return to Introduce Yourself