Greetings Earthlings!

Like a lot of people, I’m an audio hobbyist/addict on a budget. I build custom speaker systems in a never-ending search for the absolute perfect match for my listening tastes. My love of music became an addiction when I heard a pair of Infinity’s flagship speakers back in 1980. The stereo pair consisted of 4 total 7ft tall towers, using many amps, and dozens of speaker drivers. It was 4 towers because there were separate woofer towers and tweeter/mid-towers for each channel. (The mid/tweets had curved “wings” making those towers about 5ft wide by 7 ft. tall.) As I recall, the price was ~$40,000, which was a lot of money back in 1980. The speakers were playing various half-speed mastered vinyl albums of all of my favorite progressive rock and jazz music on a high-end, high-mass, regulated speed turntable from a European brand.

This music experience was utter perfection. The sound produced by those speakers alternated between giving me chills, choking me up, making me grin so big that it hurt, and causing my jaw to drop with each newly revealed instrument hidden deep in the music I thought I knew intimately. So, I obsessively strive to duplicate that extremely clean sound, the magical timbre, the incredibly tight powerful bass, the crystalline highs, and especially the unbelievably perfect soundstage. As you might guess, not being filthy rich has made it difficult to achieve a similar level of perfection. I still enjoy trying, though. :slight_smile:

I’ve listened to a lot of high-end systems since then, but nothing has ever matched my feeling toward those speakers. They are the reason I started building my own. They are also the reason I’m trying to create an audiophile level signal source on a budget. That’s where my interest in high-end Raspi DACS originated. For the price of a mediocre stand-alone DAC, I can build a touchscreen Raspberry Pi music appliance with a far superior DAC and better sound quality. Then, I figure I can spend all the money I save buying audiophile quality recordings.

Why Volumio? From most of what I read online, Volumio is the most flexible and easiest software to set up. One feature I really love is the ability to play every album I own by a single artist with a single click. It then plays one album after another all day long. The only way it could be more perfect is if it optionally played them in chronological order by release date. Maybe it does and I just haven’t figured that out yet.

Which brings me to the last but most important thing you should know about me. I’m essentially a complete Linux noob. On top of that, I think I may be allergic to CLIs. :wink: So, you should expect that I’ll be asking a lot of stupid questions and begging for a lot of hand-holding. I apologize in advance. :slight_smile:

Top beard Bill!!!
I think you have lots to provide to the forums buddy