Hi from The Netherlands

Getting a tube radio loooong ago, the hifi virus hit me and never left.

Starting with a Philips tube radio when I was young and upgrading bit by bit since then, I finally ended with a set of TL speakers combined with a hefty audiophile current dumping amp and a DAC/preamp. No thingies between my audio source and the main amp :slight_smile: just pure and simple!
With the wish to store all my precious CD’s and listen to high-resolution audiofiles Through Tidal, my search for a nice software solution began.

My logitech squeezebox did this job very well but lacked the native possibility to play CD quality and high-res streams.
Ickstream was a good plug-in solution however, Qnap stopped supporting this platform so I had to find something new…
Audirvana seemed to be a good candidate but the non-intuïtive user interface and the lack of browsing through my audio folders on my NAS didn’t convince me to buy this software.
Then I tried Roon for a year where the same problem appeared: Roon’s mission is to find your music by conected names and does play on many platforms BUT doesn’t let you search through your audio files… A missed chance, especially when you have to pull your wallet and withdraw € 120 every year. You can choose to pay € 500 in advance but with an unsure future and a dynamic development of new software, I didn’t like to pay this amount of money in advance…

Then I stumbled upon Volumio that plays perfect on a raspberry Pi 2 and above. One disadvantage: you have to find or build a stable DC cirquit to keep noise and switching peaks out your audio signal…

The solution: an Intel NUC with a bit more power than my Pi and the possibility to copy all your music to a SSD inside this NUC.
No NAS running and a super low power usages.

My challenge: how to write the X86 image (that even runs on an USB stick connected to my I3 laptop) directly to a SSD.
Etcher doesn’t recognise the USB3 to SATA connector and there you are stuck with a laptop…

Any suggestions are welcome :wink:

Hi,
When you boot volumio from a usb stick then you should find an option in the system menu to copy the running instance to a local hhd or ssd. In case this option is missing, go to the Volumio Development/ Development Talks/ “Next X86” topic and use that image. It is based on the latest kernel and recognizes a lot more newer hardware components then the official image does.
Groeten - GĂ©

Welkom aan boord! I have no experience on the x86 platform, but I trust people on the forum can help you out :wink:

Hi People,
Thanks for your reply
Being not shure about the support of newer intel NUC’s, i decided to use an old intel N8200 atom itx pc i build 6 years ago for monitoring my solar panels.
Used a 160 GB ssd and installed the latest x86 image on it, everything works like a charm, awesome,
My next try will be a small mSata ssd (32GB) for the atom to boot from with an open sata slot left for a 1TB ssd to copy my music to. The atom works fine now.
One riddle left: how can it be rhat the volumio device appeared in the synchronius display of my iphone an a day later never comes back again.

Nice to see you got your atom working, though the dev image I mentioned should support all newer Intel NUCs, we do not have any known issues there.
As for your last question, best to ask this in the help section as not everyone reads the introduction section (very often).