Hi from Haymarket

Hello all,

I’m Bill from Haymarket VA. I haven’t installed Volumio yet, but plan to in a couple of days when my new (3rd) RPi arrives. I spend lots of time at home (including work) and listen to music much of the time. Louder when the misses isn’t home of course. I have three Bose SoundTouch systems, all streaming music from my WD NAS drive. One of my RPis is running Home Assistant, and is able to control the Bose systems, in addition to all of my other automation. The second RPi is just a sandbox at this point.

I’m in the process of remodeling my master bathroom, and want music in there, so I am installing a speaker in the ceiling. I could have given Bose $450 for another SoundTouch amp to power the speaker, but it seemed like overkill for my bathroom. Plus, I’ve had numerous issues with their software over the years. My requirement is to be able to stream music from my NAS drive, and to be able to control the music (select a playlist, adjust volume, etc.) from Home Assistant. Looking over the Home Assistant media controllers, I saw that someone wrote one for Volumio. I’m excited about giving this a try, and am hopeful that it will all work without a hitch.

I admit that I would have preferred to be able to just install Volumio on top of a stock Debian Stretch image, but it doesn’t look like that is the supported way to go.

Kind regards,

Bill