Enable Wifi with TP-LINK TL-WN725N

Hi all,

I am just getting started with Volumio and have trouble using the UI over Wifi…

Here’s my setup :

RPi 2B+
USB Wifi dongle TP-LINK TL-WN725N

So first problem was with installing the Wifi dongle drivers and set up my network. I knew the drill from other RPi projects so thanks to this page it is working now. Link : latelierdugeek.fr/2015/06/0 … -raspbian/

My network is setup in the /etc/network/interfaces file like this :

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid Zigmoud
wpa-psk XXXX

All right, great. I can SSH over wifi, no need for Ethernet anymore, yay!

There seems to be a problem with the DNS now :

First, volumio.local points to 192.168.211.1…?

If I check my interfaces with ifconfig wlan0, I get :

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XXX inet addr:192.168.211.1 Bcast:192.168.211.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:996 errors:0 dropped:38 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:1048 errors:0 dropped:11 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:139810 (136.5 KiB) TX bytes:1221364 (1.1 MiB)

However, I am able to SSH via its allocated IP :

ssh volumio@192.168.1.42

What is wrong with my setup ?

The result is that I can access the UI through 192.168.1.42 but it doesn’t start (loader icon), probably because it can’t open the socket connection (in my console I receive IP from API data.host = “http://192.168.211.1”, followed by an endless list of broken connections to the socket at this IP)

Edit 8/1/2017

I tried changing /etc/network/interfaces back to its original state, connecting through Ethernet and configuring my Wifi network in the UI, but I still can’t connect to my network :frowning:

I got it working thanks to this thread : volumio-hotspot-how-connect-t4727.html#p21720

So I edited the post title and here is the way to go if you have the same USB dongle as I have :

1. Install drivers, follow the procedure given here : raspberrypi.org/forums/view … 82#p462982

2. Edit these two files :

• /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
  • /etc/hostapd/hostapd-edimax.conf
    replace the line “driver=XXX” (different in the two files)
    and insert these two lines

driver=rtl871xdrv device_name=RTL8192CU

PS. I had edited the /etc/network/interfaces files before, but this messed up my configuration. If you have too, you can disable wifi through the UI (connect with Ethernet) and re-enable it, the file will be returned to its original state

This issue has been covered in here, if you want full story.

Actually, there is no need to mess with config files anymore as of Volumio 2.041: you may want to start fresh…
TL-WN725N is supported out-of-the-box for normal wifi connection to an AP (i.e. no Hotspot) with kernel’s staging driver.
You still need ethernet at first boot to disable hotspot and fill-in your AP details: then it should work.

If you want Hotspot operations with that dongle (and/or potentially improved bandwidth), you will need to use Mr Engman’s driver as per this.
In short, execute install-wifi script from wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/install-wifi