dlna renderer part of Volumio?

I would like really much to turn my raspberry pi into a dlna renderer. I searched lot for answers and tried using gmrender-resurrect, but it is a lot of work and the sound quality with a USB soundcard was not very good.
If I’m right Volumio does not support or contain a dlna renderer part, or does it? If not, will it be added to Volumio in the very near future?
I like the dlna route very much: altough it is not opensource it is kind of generic / brand independent, and once you got it running it is hassle free and very low maintenance …

I’m wondering if you have specifics of why you would want this support other than easy? It’s a very limiting protocol as far as quality audio and supported formats.

RasPlex supports DLNA, although I’m not sure if that’s only if streamed from a Plex Media Server.

Thanks for your answer. I already play music from a NAS to a Naim Uniti with dlna and audio quality is the best I ever experienced, but I’m no expert. As far as I know mp3, flac and ogg formats are supported, do you need more?
All music is on my NAS and I would like to build a little sound system for my daughter with the raspberry pi acting as streamer (more specific as ‘dlna media renderer’=DMR) and a little T-amp with built-in USB DAC (Nuforce Icon). It’s stuff I have lying around and would like to put to good use …
I will look into RasPlex.

I’d love to see DLNA renderer available in Volumio. Since all my media files are attached to a netbook running XBMC.
Further i have very often guests who like to play their music from phone. It’s very easy with e.g. BubbleUPnP to play your music on another device/renderer.

I have been trying to incorporate ohMediaPlayer (java implementation) on Volumio, with some success. With this you can stream from your NAS to the RPi and the sound quality is very good (through a DAC). However, the GUI in Volumio is heavily integrated with mpd and I can therefore not use mpd as my player. Instead I have used mplayer and this works. But the system is not totally stable.

You can use Android, iPhone, PC or MAC to control the player.

I have built the same with a regular Wheezy image and this is much more stable and I can use mpd (gapless playback). I am now working on incorporating lira.

On my main system I am streaming music from a NAS with www.minimserver.com to a Linn Streamer but I also want to have an RPi based solution for a second system.

If you want to now more, let me know.

Since I would like to use the R-Pi as player for my TV when not used for audio, I am interested in the steps to follow to install a suitable renderer and a web GUI able to take files (MKV, AVI, MP4, M4S) from a CIFS share and to output to HDMI.
Of course, I would disable the Volumio Ramdisk.
Thanks

No problem, for dual boot use this berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot . For video use Openelec and as dual boot use Volumio. You can install Openelec from berryboot and Volumio add using berryboot wiki. So “follow the white rabbit” :wink:

LT30p Tapatalk

I thought you installed it together with Volumio, so that by accessing different webpages (different ports) you can control either one or the other.
Dual boot is not really optimal in my case.

Have a look here github.com/hzeller/gmrender-resurrect
or here blog.scphillips.com/2013/07/play … revisited/

Works like a charm for me. I can use the Volumio Webinterface for MPD, AirPlay for iTunes and UPNP for my mobile phone. Of course not all at once. You have to stop the playback on one method to start on another. Sound quality is quite perfect with HifiBerry (in fact I had more expensive devices that had poorer quality).

Hi guussie! The architectural scenario you proposed is exactly the one I am hunting for months, with only partial success. Can you tell me if your build also supports DoP replay? If so, could you confirm the player can handle DoP to PCM transitions nicely (output DoP silence versus PCM silence). Daphile player has it done almost perfectly, but can’t support gapless via DLNA.

I am using Akasa Euler Fanless case + Intel DQ77KB (64 bits) + Intel i5 3470T with Matrix X-Sabre USB DAC. MinimServer is running downstairs.

Oh please! Can you share your build somehow?

Cheers and take care! Marcos

As this is my first post on this forum I must start by congratulating Michelangelo, Daniele and all the contributors to volumio. Everything looks perfect, sounds fantastic and and is a breeze to install and configure. The web frontend is optically extremely pleasing!

So why am I know posting on this thread? Well I am looking for a streaming client which is simpler to use than my HTPC, draws less power and has a higher WAF. Up to now I have been using itunes on my HTPC and controlled it using Apple Remote on an Ipad and a similar app on Android. I have fiddled around with AV-Receivers with built in DLNA media renderers but not found a single one close to acceptable. I have however found that there several really pleasing DLNA controller apps available, e.g. Synology DS Audio which works excellently with the NAS I am using. I have also heard that BubbleUpnp is a good place to start. Now enters Raspberry PI, a DAC, Volumio and tablet/smartphone controller. I have found Volumio to have pleasant Web frontend, but it has no cover art, … The controllers I have found are not so pretty. So it would be really cool to have DLNA support on Volumio. Surfing the net has revealed a really interesting option which might even be easy to integrate into Volumio:

upmpdcli : A UPnP Media Renderer based on MPD (lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli)

I hope I find some time to give it a try!

Whilst looking I also found another really exiting thing:

upnp-display: LCD Display showing DNLA/UPnP player status (github.com/hzeller/upnp-display)

With a PI, a cheap 4x20 Display, Volumio, those other two packages and a small case one could have a really cool audio network streaming client!

Cheers, Stephan.

I’m currently using upmpdcli as a UPnP media renderer. It’s lightweight, easy to install via a .deb package and since it uses MPD for playback even somewhat controllable from the Volumio web interface. Play/Pause/Stop/Next/Audio/Seek works seamlessly. Song information is also visible.
A great choice if you want a lightweight UPnP media renderer with some web interface integration.

KJlr, would you be able to give some pointers on setting up the upmpdcli.conf file to work with Volumio? I’m not currently having any luck.

Thanks!

Hi,

Upmpdcli should work “out of the box”, you do not need to change anything to the config file (except possibly the name for the renderer if you want a distinctive one). What is not working for you ?

Just adding to the “we would like a DLNA renderer slipped in”.

So, firstly I will agree that the MPD protocol is very effective from an audio perspective, and that DLNA may leave some things to be desired; however, the arguments for including it are:

• It increases the compatibility of Volumio with similar technologies
  • It leverages the significant investment people have made in DLNA

Even if the integration leaves something to be desired (imagine gstreamer implementation with no tie in to the current playlist) it is still another selling point for this product.

Just integrated upmpdcli into Volumio… works really like a charm!

Hello,

today I installed Volumio for the first time. Really impressive. I agree, that DLNA rendering is a must-have for this great system. Because I couldn’t find any instructions how to integrate upmpdcli to Volumio, an added version of Volumio is very appreciated. :wink:

Klausi

Count me in for the " I would love a built in DLNA renderer". :slight_smile:

From an audio perspective, DLNA is as good as anything else.
It was mentioned later that Linn has (great and expensive) audio players that “run” on DLNA, but I would add others like the Pioneer N-50 (5 stars on What Hi-Fi), or the Cambridge Audio products like the StreamMagic 6.

They all work over DLNA, and while the Pioneer N-50 app is very poor, the one from Cambridge Audio is great, with all the album covers, etc.

I had the chance to try both the Pioneer and the Cambridge Audio, and I should say that I wouldn’t buy it because of the bad app.

Volumio is a great software for low powered devices, and it’s really fast.
In order to be fast on devices like the raspberry pi, it can’t be doing things like sending cover art to an app. I had SqueezePlug installed on my Pi for several months, and while it was reliable and provided a much better interface with covers (the same as the Logitech SqueezeBox), it was very slow at browsing through the music library.

The big advantage of being a DLNA player is that the controller app gets all the info from the DLNA server (NAS or other server running in another room), which means that the only thing that the player has to do is… …well, play! :wink:

At this point, Volumio is working great for me on the Pi with and external USB DAC (from a audio perspective), but the available apps that I know of (mpod) is almost useless, and the volumio interface is fast but way too basic.

Considering that gapless playback and lossless formats are already a reality on DLNA players, it would be a great feature, imho.

Thanks a lot, Stevie.

In the meantime, I tried it (following the instructions on the “download” page of your link), and here’s the result:

(as you can tell, I’m playing a FLAC file over DLNA, and there’s a second track on the playlist which I supposed that is meant to make the gapless transition possible (it shure works)!

Next, here’s the view from the “now playing” window of JRiver webgui, on which I can change tracks or fast forward/rewind.

And finally, here’s the same web browser GUI from JRiver, from which I can choose what music to play:

As you can imagine, with this setup there’s no point on accessing volumio web GUI, as all the music selection is made within JRiver server.
In order to be able to do this, I have a windows 7 based NAS (basically an old laptop with a damaged LCD screen) working 24/7 on another room (no fans on my listening room, please), and running JRiver. I installed it first because I wanted a DLNA server for streaming all my music to the iPhone (without the iTunes proprietary c*ap).

These screenshots are from my iPad, but it works on any web browser (Safari, Firefox, IE, etc).

That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you again! :wink: