DHCP server features

Dear Volumio,

Thanks for your superb and versatile audiophile softwareprogram.
As a serious stereo hifinutter :mrgreen: I’m familiar with the golden rule in hifi that says: “less is more”.
Perhaps this is also the case with software, I don’t know because that is not my cup of tea at all.

At the moment I need a network switch and a router to get my audio files to Volumio.
This is all commanded remotely with the app.
The switch to couple the NAS to Volumio and a simple router to create a good sounding (audiophile) network.

Correct me if I’m wrong but with DHCP server features in Volumio the wired network could get a lot simpler hence better, less is more?

If, and only if, Volumio has DHCP for wired connection, just like Volumio hotspot, the whole wired network chain could get a lot simpler. Volumio would just have get connected to the NAS to get to the audio files.

So, instead of a networkswitch and a router there would be only one network cable to connect Volumio straight to the NAS.

Is this assumption correct, If so, is this feasible?

I’m in the assumption that at the current state of Volumio (2.389) it is not possible to do so but if it is I would surely like to know.

Cheers Paulus

Hi Paulus,
does your NAS not have a DHCP sever option like many nowadays have?
The one cable could work if the NAS device detects crossover automatically, otherwise you would need a crossover cable between the PI and NAS.

Hi the gkkpch, my nas has dhcp. But how do I set this up then?

Is there a tutorial written about how to do this because that is very much out of my comfort zone to say the least