Connecting to DLNA from Volumio

Hi,
I have set up Volumio 2 on rpi2 and I have running miniDLNA server elsewhere. I want to play music from the DLNA using Volumio. In docs it says it should be possible, but I can’t see the DLNA server anywhere or its settings in Volumio setup.
How can I do this?
Thanks

What device are you using as your DLNA controller? If you’re using an Android phone, I can recommend BubbleUPNP (available in the Google Play app store). Within BubbleUPNP, you can select MiniDLNA as your server and your RaspberryPi/Volumio box as your renderer. You select tracks from your server and send them to play on your renderer. There are equivalent apps available in the iOS world (Lumin?)

i.e. once you have set-up Volumio on your Pi, you do not have to use its user interface again. I don’t and control music playback using BubbleUPNP.

Thank you for your response.
I am using Sound@home for Volumio (Google Play) as it was on top of the recommended list and webUI.
I have expected that it will work similarly to NFS setup or automatic search on USB. If that is not a case, it would be worth clarification in user documentation.

(It is not a problem to setup NFS share, but as the minidlna is already running anyway…)

1 Like

If you’ve got a DLNA server running satisfactorily in your house, I don’t see much point in using NFS. I’m running JRiver as my DLNA server on another Raspberry Pi, pointing to my NAS drive (which stores the actual music files - a backup of the same music files stored on my PC).

Indeed. However, I have hoped that sourcing files to play from server using DLNA is more integrated to Volumio (more NFS-like). I can imagine cases when you want to control it with WebUI…

DLNA doesn’t usually work like that.

Normally you have the 3 separate components: 1) Server (e.g. JRiver/MiniDLNA/etc.) 2) Controller (e.g. BubbleUPNP/Lumin/etc.) 3) Renderer (e.g. Volumio on the Pi)

In our scenario, Volumio is acting as a renderer, NOT a controller. You need to use something like BubbleUPNP for that.

Some software like JRiver can perform all 3 DLNA roles, but not Volumio (as I understand it).
The whole idea about DLNA is that you can mix components from different manufacturers and they (mostly) work happily together.

Hope this helps?

We have plans to enable Volumio to support all 3 modes. Stay tuned…

I understand the DLNA concept, I hoped that Volumio can work both as renderer and controller. (Feature request?)

I have set the NFS share to meet those requirements.

Nevertheless, thank you for your input.

EDIT: Great news, michelangelo :slight_smile: Looking forward to this feature :slight_smile:

looks related to the problem I have.
I have an old Zyxel NAS which I am going to replace with a minidlna system running on a Raspberry Pi (Model B).
A Yamaha network player is used as client for streaming lossless music.
This receiver connects to both servers without any problems (to my tv receiver as well, which in return connects to both).
For the stereo system in my sleeping room I set up another Raspberry Pi (B) equipped with a HiFiBerry DAC using volumio (1.55).
Volumio connects to my Zyxel NAS easily, but not to minidlna.
A friend brought in a no-name audio streaming client (which unfortunately cannot be controlled by an app) - working flawlessly.

Why does volumio not connect to minidlna, what parameters can I modify to succeed? I already played with different settings in the ‘network’ menu and tried volumio2 which gave the same results.

paula

Hello,
Since this subjet as been discussed, a lot of connected speakers have been created. And they act as upnp renderer. So I’m wondering if Volumio will be a controller one day because I like to use it as a main interface to control my music !